Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I use the older style NP200 series transfer case mounted parking brake on a newer (89-93 Dodge) NP205. If this is possible I need to know what parts are involved and possible parts set sources. I would like to eliminate the cable system to the rear axle.

·
Registered
808 Posts
How do I use the older style NP200 series transfer case mounted parking brake on a newer (89-93 Dodge) NP205. If this is possible I need to know what parts are involved and possible parts set sources. I would like to eliminate the cable system to the rear axle.
Bob, its relatively easy but sure not plug and play. Look here;
http://tsmmfg.com/7211.htm
Buy the MB-2 Caliper. You will need to fab a disk. I can send you a template for a 8" disk with cut out for a NP-205 Yoke. You need to make brackets to mount the MB-2 on the NP-205 or a side mount to mount the MB-2. Then the
disk goes behind the NP-205 yoke. The U Joint strap bolts must be mong enough to extend all the way through the NP-205 output yoke and thru the ebrake disk and are retained with nuts. A simple mechanical break light switch such as NAPA SL-169 can be mounted to activate a ebrake warning light. Look at my Albums on Image Event to see pictures of the Disk E Brake on NP-205's. The Trucks that have it are the M37, Carryall and Power Giant.
http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple
Email or call me if you need more info.

Paul

·
Registered
808 Posts
Bob, if you go this way, also order the 7205 Laser Cut mount. Its only 10 bucks and makes life easier......if thats possible LOL

Paul

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good information guys! I'm just at the "looking at the options" point right now.

Paul, Are there are only four bolts total that hold your disk in place? Your Carryall shows a good picture which looks like you used a length of aircraft wire rope as the link. Was it possible to use a straight connecting rod from the control handle or does the control handle prevent this? I also like that heavy looking mounting brake bracket that you used on that project. Did you save that part of the pattern?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Good information guys! I'm just at the "looking at the options" point right now.

Paul, Are there are only four bolts total that hold your disk in place? Your Carryall shows a good picture which looks like you used a length of aircraft wire rope as the link. Was it possible to use a straight connecting rod from the control handle or does the control handle prevent this? I also like that heavy looking mounting brake bracket that you used on that project. Did you save that part of the pattern?
Morning Bob;
Yes, just the 4 strap bolts that retain the U Joint straps also retain the disk.
I did use aircraft cable to connect between the actuator handle and caliper. I also used a parking brake cable slack adjuster to tension the cable. Well, I use the Parking Brake Acuator Handle, also sold on the site I gave you. I dont use the Dodge handle with push button. For no reason that the style does not fit my likes for looks. You can fab the actuator with cable or design it for a rod as Dodge used on the Old Iron. Using a rod will take mre fab work, but can be done. My aircraft cable runs through steel tube as a guide.
I only have a full size pattern for the disk with cutout for the NP-205 yoke. I used the mount that you can buy with the caliper and the rest I fab'ed on the fly as I build.

Paul

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would like to hear some more information on this. I have no problem with fabricating the bracket but i am concerned with the disk/rotor. With the rotor spinning with the trans, i think that balance would be very important to prevent damage to the output shaft of the transfer case. I dont think i have the ability to cut and drill a piece of plate that accurate. Is anyone doing this? can a brake rotor be used easier? I dont want to spend the 400 bucks on a HAD kit so im looking at my options. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts