Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

NP 208C - How to tell if you need to Rebuild?

Tags
np208
3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  T_Swindler 
#1 ·
Transfer Case Question,

I have a NP 208C in my 84 chevy 4x4. I purchased another used due the spline count and have it in my garage. The other NP208c is to match to a 4L80E. My current NP208c is married to my current 700R4.

How do you know if one needs to be rebuilt? My current transfer case works great with no issues what-so-ever. Is there an inspection that can be done on the one in my garage without disassembly?

I don't have the money for another one.

Thanks,

T.S.

#4 · (Edited)
Without cracking the case open, you really can't tell what needs replacing. I've rebuilt 3 NP cases in about the last 15 years. The Ford 208 had some clunking going on with heavy load or heavy throttle. New chain and rebuild kit fixed that. Jeep 208 would not come out of 4x4 even though the shift lever was in 2WD. The nylon pads on the tips of the shift fork (see pic below) were worn. Went ahead and did rebuild anyway and replaced chain while the case was open. Last is a Dodge 241 that I found cheap. The PO said it worked fine. But, I did a preventive rebuild on it since it was loose and on the bench. Replaced that chain too. I have yet to install it yet. My current 241 seems to be fine for now.

Edit: I don't believe I have paid over $100 for new chains. More like $80 to $90.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
I don't mind paying for quality. I don't like being gouged. When you rebuilt, you actually had a problem. I do not have an issue, although the latest NP 208C has not been in a vehicle. My current NP208C on my 84 pickup is fine. I am curious if their is a tattle-tell sign something is not right.

#6 ·
Well, at least to check for that nylon pad wear while the 208 is loose, shift the lever into all 4 positions, 2H, 4H, N, and 4Lo, and turn the shaft. Granted, there's no load on it. But, with my Jeep 208, in 2Hi, it was still turning the front output shaft in 4Hi mode after I pulled the transfer case off. And, as for my 241, I did the rebuild even though it appeared to be fine. Just to have that done and out of the way should I ever need it.

#9 ·
Very true. It is not a difficult thing to remove. Just heavy and a little burdensome. I have my NP208c on my current set up, I believe the spline shafts are different for the 700R4 transmission and the 4L80E. I believe that is why I purchase the second NP208c back in 2011-2012.

#18 ·
Thanks geardaddy. I am not familiar with transfer cases. I might keep my old one for a while until I am comfortable with the other transfer case I picked up in 2011. Worst case is that I will have to change the 27 spline to a 32 spline if the transfer case I have doesn't work out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.