Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my np205 today for 175 kind of high but exactly what i am looking for the gears are in perfect conditions and are smooth there is a clicking noise when i do spin the yokes though dont know what it is doesnt sound bad but kind of like a grinding only when pushing against the yoke and spinning it does it. I am totally new with the twin stick shifter can some one tell me how they work let me know what you guys think. what should i keep in mind when building a cradle for it and the zf?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The twin stick all that's doing spliting up the front and rear ,in some cases you can only have front wheel drive to do digs to turn sharp while the rear wheels are locked up .

the clicking maybe that the shift rails are not set in gear (like both high and low at the same time,hard to tell if the rail bar is pined to the rails or not.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
500 Posts
Basically the twin stick separates the two shift rails that come out of the transfercase. 1 is the range shifter, which has 3 positions: low, neutral, or high. The other rail is the one that engaged the front output shaft. It has two positions. I believe the rail closest to the center of the T-case is the range shifter. When they're both pushed all the way in (shortest amount sticking out) you'll be in 4-low.

In order to install a twin stick though, you have to remove the shift rails and grind down part of them. Here's a good article on building up a twin stick NP205

http://www.offroad-tech.com/tech/twinstick205/

You mentioned grinding when pushing against the yoke - that sound like the shaft bearing may be worn or have surface rust. I'd defenitely pull the yokes off (You'll want new seals anwyway) and check out the front/rear bearings. You can get a full rebuild kit for the NP205 for about $175 which has the gaskets & roller bearings. I paid a guy locally who's a 4x4 junkie about $150 to rebuild my case.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rebuilding the 205.

That case has been out for awhile , The corrosion on the input shaft and the retainer are clues enough that your 205 needs a rebuild. I did mine and there is really not much to it. There are a pile of needle bearings inside that easily get corroded if the case has ever seen any water . Tossing in a rebuild kit is worth the time.
You can build a mini rotissary for the case that speeds the rebuid up . Use the PTO cover area to attach one of the pivots and the 2 holes the support rod went into to for the other pivot. Run synthetic in it and you should be happy with the box.

Bruce

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what i'm looking for.Where did you find it?
Sergio.
Craigslist Craigslist and more Craigslist check it out thats where i seem to find a lot of parts. Also call around local junk yards and truck shops you can pic these up cheap and the rebuilds are also cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts