Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found the 205's weak point. the output shaft is sloted in three places. Apparently for lubrication. this is the third or fourth one this truck has shattered.

What does everyone think about tig welding the lube slots back shut re-machining it and drilling a smaller hole in their place? would it need re-hardened?

Also I took a picture of the dana 60 front outer that broke within miliseconds of the 205. :D

Lets just say there is alot of torque, wheelspeed, and a skid involved. I know they make a 37 spline output for the 205 but at $800 Its a bit pricey.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
get hold of jp conversions...they have a 32 spline output without the slots.not terribly expensive,but not cheap either.makes way more sense than going to some wierd spline count.

if you tig the shaft and remachine,it'll break 10 times faster.full heat treat will be required for survival.not worth the expense imop.

·
Registered
129 Posts
lol, very funny welding it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ambulancechser I will be ordering one of these today! I knew there had to be something more out there for such a common transfer case. I hope they can get it to my door before friday!

David, Fyi the last one lasted just over 15 seconds so I was grasping at straws and figured I'd try anything. and yes funny.

http://www.jbconversions.com/products/lomax205/rear_out_32.php

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I'm gunna guess you were sled pulling with it??? I just snapped the output shaft on my NP231 in my Dakota sled pullin. Luckily nothing in the front broke when it let go.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ordered the shaft from JBconversions today. wow $75 for next day air!! It had better get here tomorrow.

Yep Sled pulling. I can't say too much about the motor but it's a Big block with custom headers outside the framerails with 2-1/4" primaries into 5" collectors and it needs them.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
your welcome...if that shaft starts to go on you...consider getting a new one cryo treated before use.
with the rear output problem solved,the fronts will start to go...then the inputs.

when the proper level of insanity is approached...the cases blow :nuke:.it takes a TON of power to blow a well setup 205 (or lots of axle hop and a heavy foot).after that there's nothing for it but a monster rockwell or a custom gear or chain final...

have fun.:beer:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brown santa came this morning!! bounce

JB conversions did good. They got it sent out and here. The part looks great. I just hope I'm not posting pictures of it broken by the end of the weekend. Crossing my fingers.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mid 80's and newer 205's use the better output. You should be able to get that output shaft at any tranny parts supplier.
what makes them better? is that the shaft that JB is selling?

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Brown santa came this morning!! bounce

JB conversions did good. They got it sent out and here. The part looks great. I just hope I'm not posting pictures of it broken by the end of the weekend. Crossing my fingers.
I think we need some pics of the truck that broke it!!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It belongs to a friend I do his work for him when he doesn't have time.

really big block ???CID
35" BFG all terrains
Dana 60
14BFF
NP205
SFI aproved Bellhousing (2nd one) due to making the first one "grow"
The front bracket if for weight
$1000 custom headers

This is up on the hoist in my shop.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
sweet!!! It's a 4speed truck too?? What is he running for traction bars on it?? A good set of traction bars helps alot with keepin the chassis stable when pulling.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sweet!!! It's a 4speed truck too?? What is he running for traction bars on it?? A good set of traction bars helps alot with keepin the chassis stable when pulling.
not allowed in his class. its the street altered stock. more of a run what'cha brung then bitch because you got beat class.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts