Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 F250 4x4, 78 d44, np205
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you all faring running brass/lined nv4500 synchros on your rebuilds with miles on?

Seems as though the only place selling all 6 OE steel synchros is quad4x4. Seems like all the retailers all the way up to the performance diesel places are selling the brass aftermarkets.

I’m guessing the brass are working fine for most everyone judging by the fact I’m not reading hardly anything saying brass are subpar to theOE steel...

Sorry to have multiple threads all on nv4500. Let me know if they should/can be mashed into one.
Thanks,
Sam

·
Premium Member
1972 F250 4x4, 78 d44, np205
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Death Row Dave, I don’t know for sure but as usual I suppose they hold up longer.

During a shift it appears as though the steel shift struts are held in alignment and push on a portion of the brass synchro to operate the cone friction mesh, so I imagine that after so many cycles they’ll get worn in those areas where a steel synchro would hold up for longer.

I suppose treating it like it was made to do and not power shifting or abusing it is a good way to keep it running.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Most synchro rings are made entirely of a red metal alloy. That's why when you are ordering trans parts they ask "You want bearings and brass for that"?

I can't see why it would be an issue for you.

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
A few decades back there was all this fear about what GL5 gear oils would do to brass and bronze. The reasoning behind that has been dealt with as oils are buffered so they won't cause problems. But I wonder if that drove the option?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts