Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding my NV4500 and when installing the countershaft, the rear bearing sits proud of the case. Shaft spins freely until trying to tighten the bearing retainer plate and then it binds up. Bearings are Koyo brand. Front bearing cup in the case and both shaft bearings appear to pressed on as far as they can go. The rearward bear cup in the photo is a slip fit. I'm stumped at this point and any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its been some time since I rebuilt mine but I believe both the counter shaft and main shaft had shims you used to set the appropriate endplay. if that's the case perhaps there's some stuck in there that just look like they're part of the bearing cup or cover.

Quad4x4 had a great article/guide on rebuilding it. A quick search didn't bring it up but I'm sure its still out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crisis averted... 🤦‍♂️ I looked it over again last night and realized I had the bearing cups swapped by accident and neither bearing was seating properly. Total chump move.

Everything is back together now and I’m just waiting for my shim kit to arrive to set end play before finishing assembly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts