Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My idea is finding a cheap Dodge Dakota, manual, between 1997-2004. Once the truck is found, i would like to swap the gas engine out with a Cummins 3.9L 4BT. After doing a few (countless) hours of research, the *NV4500* seems to be the best bet for what i am doing. (senior project)

What sort of things will i need to get the NV4500 and the 4BT to "play nice"? I'm figuring I'm going to need a flywheel for the engine. For the transmission end, i've figured out i will need a bell housing, anything in between there i'm lost at. (torque converter?, clutch?, keebler elves?) I haven't even asked the question of how to hook everything up.

I'm hoping that since i'll be converting a manual truck to a manual truck, i will be able to keep some components i.e. clutch pedal, etc. I do not know what will go or stay.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks anyone

·
Registered
344 Posts
You will need an adaptor and the bell housing that is correct for the NV4500.

The ones off the back of a 6BT (3/4 ton and 1 ton Dodge) will bolt onto the 4BT.

There are different NV4500's meaning they are not all the same. Small bolt pattern, input flange diameter, input shaft diameter, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so lets say i picked up this NV4500 off of ebay; cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE-3500-TRUCK-TRANSMISSION-NV4500-5-SPEED-4X4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem58825b7e69QQitemZ380144156265QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories ; where would i go from here? this trans i think is 4/6bt friendly, just missing a few parts. i dont know what though. have a feeling more than a bellhousing.

Also, the adapter from "advance adaptors", does that bolt onto the engine block itself, or the transmission?

Does a clutch kit come with a flywheel? I'm also concerned on what needs to go on the engine block itself

This is a first engine/trans swap for me, i'm learning as i go

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The 4bt to Nv4500

1.You'll need a adpater plate from the dodge truck auto or 5spd( diesel ) 94-01
2.You'll need a bell housing from 94-01 5spd
3. you'll need a clutch fork,ball and clip 94-01 * I have these new as a package *
4. Clutch kit flywheel,clutch disc,pressure plate ,bolts tool. from the 94-98

If you need a quote on any of these parts above let me know. I also can do a quote on the transmission if you like.

Scott

·
Vendor
2,656 Posts
anything in between there i'm lost at. I haven't even asked the question of how to hook everything up.

Thanks anyone
If you dont know what fits where, it just prooves you didnt spend a minute in the transmission sticky in this section or the buildup section(this has been done). You can circumvent the stupidity if you can read. Annoying instant gratification will get you in trouble. Good luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks

Great info!

I wished I had known that, I would have bought from you.

The 4bt to Nv4500

1.You'll need a adpater plate from the dodge truck auto or 5spd( diesel ) 94-01
2.You'll need a bell housing from 94-01 5spd
3. you'll need a clutch fork,ball and clip 94-01 * I have these new as a package *
4. Clutch kit flywheel,clutch disc,pressure plate ,bolts tool. from the 94-98

If you need a quote on any of these parts above let me know. I also can do a quote on the transmission if you like.

Scott

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ratio?

So is the ratio of this tranny a "close" ratio? I have found there are 3 different gear ratios and I would assume the Dodge diesel had a close ratio without the granny first that the GM had. Which one is most preferred for all around driving?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts