Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The application for this is going to be my 2000 Durango 4bt project. I'm picking up a 1999 Dodge 360 NV4500 Friday, and want to pick up the right bellhousing at the same time. I'm going to be using a Dodge Cummins input shaft, Dodge Cummins clutch, with the gas version NV4500. When I checked on bellhousings, I found that the bellhousing for a 360 was different than for a Cummins.

So, I know the engine bolt patterns are the same, and so are the transmission side bolt patterns. So what is different between the gas and diesel bellhousings, and which should I be using for this application? I'm guessing that maybe the depth is different to compensate for different input shafts, flywheels, and clutches.

Jim

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The application for this is going to be my 2000 Durango 4bt project. I'm picking up a 1999 Dodge 360 NV4500 Friday, and want to pick up the right bellhousing at the same time. I'm going to be using a Dodge Cummins input shaft, Dodge Cummins clutch, with the gas version NV4500. When I checked on bellhousings, I found that the bellhousing for a 360 was different than for a Cummins.

So, I know the engine bolt patterns are the same, and so are the transmission side bolt patterns. So what is different between the gas and diesel bellhousings, and which should I be using for this application? I'm guessing that maybe the depth is different to compensate for different input shafts, flywheels, and clutches.

Jim
You need the Cummins bellhousing for the Nv4500 and I think the V10 bellhousing is the same as well.The engine adapter plate 94-2001 Cummins.

Scott

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Jim,

Best place I have found for the correct bellhousing and adapter plate has been car-parts.com. Found the plate for as low as $25 and the bell housings for $50+.

HTH,
Shane

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I have the flywheel housing already, its coming off my '96 Ram Cummins (which is getting a Spicer 3053a and matching SAE #3 flywheel housing), but my Ram has an auto, so I have to buy the NV4500.

Jim

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I want to say the bolt patterns are different between the two. if not, the clutch is probably bigger on the V10/Cummins than on the 5.9.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts