Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from getting my '04 F350 diesel inspected. I started a conversation with the store manager about my 1990 F150 4B project. he said I'll never get it registered/inspected in NYS with the diesel engine in it? He says he gets guys in there all the time with gassers who put a different engine in their street rods and he can't pass them even though the engine is newer than the chassis? He say he doesn't know how the 1990 F150 could be registered as a diesel because it never came with one in it. He said my best bet is to get a 1989 or older truck because any vehicle over 27 years old is exempt from any emissions inspection. Anyone try this in New York with a 1980 or newer vehicle? Guess I'll have to talk to the DMV, my favorite pastime, I just luv this state. Maybe my best bet will be to get a F250 diesel chassis at a junkyard. Luckily I haven't started tearing the 150 apart yet.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have said a 1979 or older truck, not 89, to be exempt from emissions.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I just bought a sticker from a friend who owns a machine. $50 and I escaped the emmissions BS. It's really a joke.

The number of people who would do something like us is so low they should just let us do it ya know?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Talk to your DMV. People say it can't be done out here in Kalifornia, but it is easier than they think. How else do the tree huggers register their converted electric cars. An electric car can't take an emissions test!
Out here all you have to do is use this form: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf scroll down to section B and check DIESEL.
Ask your DMV person if they have a simular form.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just bought a sticker from a friend who owns a machine. $50 and I escaped the emmissions BS. It's really a joke.

The number of people who would do something like us is so low they should just let us do it ya know?
You DO realize you just admitted, in a public forum, to committing a Felony, right?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did some research on NYS emission inspection regs and I don't think I got the right info. Here is a direct quote from the NYS DMV website, "All diesel-powered vehicles registered in the New York City Metropolitan Area (NYCMA) with a gross vehicle weight of 8501 Lbs or heavier must get an annual emissions inspection. ... Diesel powered vehicles with a GVW of 8500 lbs or less are not subject to an annual emissions inspection. Diesel powered vehicles registered outside of the NYCMA are also exempt from the annual emissions inspection." Looks to me like I'm covered both being under 8500 and a long ways from the NYCMA. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Look it up again.

I'll bet your lunch that what you stated is opposite (8501# and over is exempt not the 8500# and under).

·
Registered
127 Posts
2 seconds on google, from http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm#diesel :

Emissions Inspection for Diesel-powered Vehicles
Does a diesel-powered vehicle require an annual emissions inspection?

All diesel-powered vehicles registered in the New York City Metropolitan Area (NYCMA) with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 8,501 lbs. or heavier must get an annual emissions inspection. The emissions inspection must occur at the same time as the annual safety inspection. The NYCMA includes the five boroughs of New York City, and Nassau County, Suffolk County, Rockland County, and Westchester County. There are no exemptions given because of vehicle year, vehicle model, or other related vehicle information.

Diesel-powered vehicles with a GVW of 8,500 lbs. or less are not subject to an annual emissions inspection. Diesel-powered vehicles registered outside of the NYCMA are also exempt from the annual emissions inspection.

Now- where's my lunch? :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sent the Email below to the NYS DMV. Their response is attached too, no worries.:)

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Technical Services) - 04/10/2007 10:16 AM
Dear Mr. George
You are correct, only safety inspection woul be required. You would need to amend the fuel type to diesel on your registration.

Customer (Steve George) - 04/04/2007 01:54 PM
I own a 1990 Ford F-150 pickup truck with a gasoline engine. I am rebuilding the vehicle and I want to install a four cylinder diesel engine built in 1993. It has GVW rating of less than 8500 lbs and I live outside of the NYMA. My understanding from reading the DMV website is that diesel powered vehicles less than 8500 GVW are exempt from annual emissions inspections. I want to make sure I will not have a problem getting this inspected before I start the project.
Thank You.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts