Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this crazy idea now to maybe bypass the cost of a/c on my current truck and mount a air compressor in place of the a/c compressor.. Anyone have any leads on air compressor that can be bolted on in place of the a/c compressor for a Dodge, or knows how to modify an A/C compressor for air?

Also, on another note, I found this bolt on OBA kit from Kilby. They also sell a special pulley that has a second groove for a traditional belt...
http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/KE-3100-K.htm

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't have any of my links with me here at work but look at some offroad sites. They tend to have alot about OBA. The Kilby kits are nice but tend to be pretty expensive. People like the York compressor because it has its own oil res and is also a piston style and moves a good ammount of air. I know some people use a standen <sp> style compressor that is much more common for modern engines. The only problem with that is that the oil is mixed with the refrigerent and so you need to have some oil seperator plumbed into the system to cycle the oil back into the compressor. I think you should be able to make a dodge one work just fine if you check on how to keep it oiled. You could probably even use just a stock dodge belt and tensioner and not need to run the extra pully off the alternator like the kit shows.

Is that kit you posted for adding a York to a Cummins that already has AC?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oil for lubrication can easily be solved. Plumb the intake for the compressor to you valve cover or the crankcase breather. There is enough oil vapor to lube a junkyard a/c compressor. Worked out great on my buddies jeeps.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No because I am feeling cheap.. I have been taking massive efforts to try and run AC, I have all the belt routing and mounting done. But, will need to come up with another ~$1000 for the AC in cab unit, some fabrication, and I don't want to have to spend more $$ for a gear driven setup, they all seem to be quite expensive as well. I am now thinking of maybe running a $150 mohave heater and call it quits.. But I am not opposed to it either, sure would be neat to have a gear driven pump as well... Anyway, we'll see...

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Andre,
I feel your pain$$. I bought all the tools $$$ for setting up AC in my Scout. Vacume pump, guages, crimping tool for hoses$$$, and any thing else that comes to mind. But I also have the Willys to put AC in so I consider it a wash. Maybe I'll go into the custom AC business:)
Come on down and I'll make it cold for you:grinpimp:

Besides, there is nothing like haveing the AC running while on the trail and keeping cool while all the gasser's are complaining about over heating.!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts