Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the engine, intercoolerand radiator are in my Jeep, my oil dip stick is way to long. It actually touches the radiator. Do they make a shorter dip stick? I will post a few pictures as soon as I have time to make it down to the shop.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Can you make a bracket/extension that moves the dipstick away from where it is bolted to the intake? That might be easiest.

You might also have an extra-long version of some sort. Mine bolts to the second bolt from the front of the intake. My dipstick is about 6" farther back than the most front part of the engine (pulley)

You could also shorten each, the tube and the stick itself equal amounts, but that would require re-marking the stick with new "full" and "add" marks.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I too have a longer than needed version and had thought about shortening it. Like LincTex suggested doesn't sound difficult at all. Could mark it with a chisel and hammer or with some wire cutters.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Take a look at the stick ,does it have rivet in the center making it longer?

If so depends on where the sections come together ,might be able to mark and shorten it and then shorted the tube as well ?

Just a thought ,there are three different oil dip sticks that I know of .

1. 3'' stub sticking out of the block.
2. one that comes to the front edge of the intake plate/ valve cover.
3. one that extra long that mounts to the coresupport on the P-30.

Scott

·
Registered
854 Posts
Mine looks like this (below),

dipstick stops right above the injector pump. I think the 6BT engines in the first gen dodge are the same length, so you might want to grab stick/tube from the wrecking yard

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Yep , you have the long one .

Dipstick 3907679
oil tube 3279104
oil gauge 3905800

The stick stops at intake plate.

Scott
Scott,

Is that oil tube number for just the replacement plastic tube that they heat crimp onto the metal tube or is that a complete assembly with the metal tube already attached?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Scott,

Is that oil tube number for just the replacement plastic tube that they heat crimp onto the metal tube or is that a complete assembly with the metal tube already attached?
In the part listing in has a twist ring clamp holding on the plastic to metal tube.

Scott

·
Registered
854 Posts
In the part listing in has a twist ring clamp holding on the plastic to metal tube.
I had to replace the tube on mine when it got old/brittle and cracked. I just used air brake line, it cost like $3 for a piece that was way too long! (3 feet)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts