Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been researching but getting confusing results about this part crossing over.

Does anyone know if the Oil Lube Cover/Base interchanges between the 4B and 6B blocks?

TIA,
George

·
Registered
696 Posts
The oil filter plate is interchangeable but according to my manual the oil cooler parts should not be interchanged as they have different amount of cooling plates 7 for a 6BT and 5 fo a 4BT therefore changing this will either under or over cool the oil. If you are refering to the bit that holds the filter and nothing else them I would say yes. If I am wrong somebody will jump in and put us straight.

Gaza

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks 66Gaza,

Yes, I was referring to the mount plate only.

Just want to be certain that not only bolt pattern matches but the oil journals on the reverse side will function properly...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Does anyone know if the Oil Lube Cover/Base interchanges between the 4B and 6B blocks?
Other than placing the filter in a different position....it is a good way to take an engine that uses a $7 oil filter and convert it to one needing a $15 oil filter :D

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yes, the oil path thru the housing will be the same. I used a vertical mount from a 6 BT, makes for much cleaner oil changes plus allowing to prefill the filter before screwing it on. Re. the bolt pattern, I've seen 6B housings with a bolt hole at the very bottom which my 4B housing does not have so keep that in mind when looking for one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I ended up getting a remote adapter from a member here. Now there is room to move the turbo away from the firewall and the filter will be mounted vertically for easier changes. Downside is more oil capacity at over 10 qts, but that's not such a bad thing. I will post pics when the time comes for my build...

·
Registered
784 Posts
The oil filter plate is interchangeable but according to my manual the oil cooler parts should not be interchanged as they have different amount of cooling plates 7 for a 6BT and 5 fo a 4BT therefore changing this will either under or over cool the oil. If you are refering to the bit that holds the filter and nothing else them I would say yes. If I am wrong somebody will jump in and put us straight.

Gaza
I don't fully agree with this statement. you cannot overcool your oil by increasing the size of a water to oil cooler. oil temp will stay at coolant temp, it can't go much lower. the accepted specs are 20 degrees plus or minus under extreme conditions. under normal conditions your oil temp is relatively equal to coolant temp

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
I don't fully agree with this statement. you cannot overcool your oil by increasing the size of a water to oil cooler. oil temp will stay at coolant temp, it can't go much lower. the accepted specs are 20 degrees plus or minus under extreme conditions. under normal conditions your oil temp is relatively equal to coolant temp
Cummins will disagree. IIRC, there was an early 6B oil cooler that Cummins obsoleted and replaced it with one that has fewer coolant plates. The Cummins service manual confirms this and advises that the cooler plates between the 6B & 4B should not be interchanged. Check your shop manual for their recommendation. This is just one of many peculiarities common only to this engine and why the first item you should obtain before you start servicing your engine is the shop manual.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thanks for the info. I ended up getting a remote adapter from a member here. Now there is room to move the turbo away from the firewall and the filter will be mounted vertically for easier changes. Downside is more oil capacity at over 10 qts, but that's not such a bad thing. I will post pics when the time comes for my build...
Changing the filter mount won't add oil capacity, they both have the same thread diameter and pitch. Napa number 1602 for the short and 1607 for the long one.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Cummins will disagree. IIRC, there was an early 6B oil cooler that Cummins obsoleted and replaced it with one that has fewer coolant plates. The Cummins service manual confirms this and advises that the cooler plates between the 6B & 4B should not be interchanged. Check your shop manual for their recommendation. This is just one of many peculiarities common only to this engine and why the first item you should obtain before you start servicing your engine is the shop manual.
thanks I have the engine manual. my engine is making 3x the factory horsepower and I've got 2 turbo's so i'm heating the oil up faster than a stock engine would. That still doesn't explain how oil temp will mysteriously drop below coolant temp.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Changing the filter mount won't add oil capacity, they both have the same thread diameter and pitch. Napa number 1602 for the short and 1607 for the long one.
He is using a remote mount. That will increase the oil capacity due to the amount required to fill the lines. Depending on placement you could theoretically starve the engine at higher rpms by having too much oil out of the pan in the loop to the remote set up. So you should always add the capacity in the remote system to your oil changes.

·
Registered
784 Posts
He is using a remote mount. That will increase the oil capacity due to the amount required to fill the lines. Depending on placement you could theoretically starve the engine at higher rpms by having too much oil out of the pan in the loop to the remote set up. So you should always add the capacity in the remote system to your oil changes.
I missed that, guess I need to read slower or pay more attention.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts