Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Beige

Just finished. All this just to clear the 4WD third member and it didn't help having the GM "tilt" tranny adapter putting the oil pan further into the the third member. The oil pick up was narrowed to clear the modified oil pan.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Playing the guessing game now...I'm thinking it's between 9 and 10 qts. I'm not too worried if its just over 9 because its still plenty of of oil for the easier life this engine now has in a grocery getter.

·
Registered
200 Posts
oil pan

hi thats a lot of work looks good what did you do to the pick up

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Looks better than most modern art :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mine will end up very much like that when I'm done. I know it will take a lot of cutting to make the pan fit around the Durango's front diff and steering rack. Luckily the thing that makes this install difficult in one way makes it easier in another. The diff on Dakotas/Durangos is hung with the engine by the motor mounts. This means I have to fab up brackets for the diff, but it also means that I can have the pan very close to the diff because they will be mounted together.

I just got back from PA and had lots of time to think (if thats possible while driving a Deuce 500 miles) about the project, and have thought about the capacity and clearance issues. I don't mind giving up 1 quart because this will be going into a commuter vehicle, but then again, it will also be used to tow a 5000 lb. trailer up to 1200 miles (or more) a few times a year. I'll know more when I'm able to set the engine into the engine compartment for the first time, but I'm hoping I'll have room to add capacity in other areas of the pan, such as a side bulge similar to B1jetmech.

Jim

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi thats a lot of work looks good what did you do to the pick up
The pick up was narrowed about three quarter of an inch because I knew it wouldn't clear. Left the "screen" part untouched just cut out a section next to it and re-welded the screen back on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's basically what happened. I raised the third member up to the pan and notched areas where it was either touching or too close. I tried to leave at least a half inch clearance but some places ended up quarter inch but this particular engine doesn't vibe that bad. It was alot of trial and error especially for someone who doesn't have the time in the first place:rolleyes:

Good luck with yours and takes some pictures of it.

Mine will end up very much like that when I'm done. I know it will take a lot of cutting to make the pan fit around the Durango's front diff and steering rack. Luckily the thing that makes this install difficult in one way makes it easier in another. The diff on Dakotas/Durangos is hung with the engine by the motor mounts. This means I have to fab up brackets for the diff, but it also means that I can have the pan very close to the diff because they will be mounted together.

I just got back from PA and had lots of time to think (if thats possible while driving a Deuce 500 miles) about the project, and have thought about the capacity and clearance issues. I don't mind giving up 1 quart because this will be going into a commuter vehicle, but then again, it will also be used to tow a 5000 lb. trailer up to 1200 miles (or more) a few times a year. I'll know more when I'm able to set the engine into the engine compartment for the first time, but I'm hoping I'll have room to add capacity in other areas of the pan, such as a side bulge similar to B1jetmech.

Jim

·
Registered
915 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So did you have to lower the engine from where you had it before?
Yes. The stock GM mounts were drilled to lower the engine 1 inch. At the same time the tranny was raised an inch to basically allow the engine to have a slight tilt so it almost looks factory.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After adding oil it came out to 9.5 quarts plus the oil filter. The filter is a 6B application so its taller then the 4B's. The engine hasn't been started yet which will take some oil to fill the oil rifles but I'm sure I didn't lose any oil capcity if so it was minor amount:dustin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts