Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine had what appears to be two oil pressure senders remotely mounted on the end of a hose. One is much larger than the other. Does anyone know if one is a sender for the gauge and the other a switch that shuts the engine down in event of oil pressure loss? Were they remote mounted to isolate them from the engine vibration or for clearance purposes? The engine came out of a P30 van.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mine was the same way. Dont know why they put them on the end of a hose. And yes, I think one of them was for the flight system to shut down for oil pressure loss. I relocated mine to right next to the oil filter, I believe thats where the hose was attached. No problems for 10 months on my daily driver.
Carl

1979 F-250 crew cab 4 x 4
4 bta
ZF S-42 5 speed
Borg Warner 1356 x-case
Dana 60 rear
Dana 44 front
3.55 gears
255/85R16 tires (33.5x10.5)
Hydroboost steering and brakes
Custom 40 gal. fuel tank
Much more later

·
Registered
808 Posts
I remove the 'no oil pressure shutdown' switch. I want to make the decision on shutting down. You could be in a situation where the last thing you want is a shut down....no matter what happens to the engine. If you want positive notification on oil pressure failure get a oil pressure switch with normally open contacts. Use them to switch a Buzzer or Horn to alert you to no OP.

Paul

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Monitoring oil pressure is real important to me so I tossed both electric senders and plumbed in a tee to a pair of mechanical oil pressure gauges in cab. Easy to double-check oil pressure variations that way, plus I LIKE GAUGES!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Correction on my post #3;

You want a switch with normally closed contacts. So when there is no OP the contacts are closed and can operate a warning device. When you have OP the contacts open and the warning device is not active. Sorry it was late when I posted, brain already in bed.

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil Pressure Switch

I don't think that switch shuts down the engine on low oil pressure. I don't think this is allowed by law. I'd rather cook an engine than get run over by a semi. My P30 had a box on the top of the dash that had engine warning lights - probably added on when the diesel conversions were done. I think the switch turned on a low oil pressure light in the box. The other sensor is for the oil pressure gauge (not a switch, but variable resistance).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts