Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Cummins manual says to use a high quality 15W-40 and suggests Valvoline Premium Blue or its equivalent. 3.9L engine uses 10 qts/9.5 liters pan capacity, 10.8/10.2L with filter; 5.9 uses 15 qts/14.2L pan capacity, 16 qts/15.1L with filter. 59ft lbs torque on steel oil pan's drain bolt, 44 ft lbs on aluminum pan. Some 6BT pans have a larger or smaller capacity, but all 4BT are the same across the board.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any draw backs to running synthetic vs. conventional? Pro's? Con's? I follow the TDIclub.com forum for VW's and there is always a heated discussion about WHICH synthetic to use. I assume that 4B's were spec'd out for conventional oil but would synthetic be worth the extra price for possible reduction in wear?

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Any draw backs to running synthetic vs. conventional? Pro's? Con's? I follow the TDIclub.com forum for VW's and there is always a heated discussion about WHICH synthetic to use. I assume that 4B's were spec'd out for conventional oil but would synthetic be worth the extra price for possible reduction in wear?
Are you worried about wearing out your engine?
I'd be more worried about wearing out the vehicle it's bolted into.

·
Registered
696 Posts
This is just my opinion but to spend a lot on fully synthetic then run it round your engine full of soot some of it will be just smaller than the micron rating of your oil filter didn't appear to be a good idea to me. I decided to use cummins blue/valvoline blue (same thing as far as I know) and put a bypass filter in the system that filters down to 1 micron. So I decided to spend a little extra now on the bypass filter and save a little on the oil but still using oil recommended by cummins. To each there own.

Gaza

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Exactly right, Gaza! I've got my bypass mounted but still have to run the lines, from pressurized block port fitting and back to freeze plug for drainback. Thanks for reminding me!

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Cant go wrong with Shell Rotella-T. Most lube shops keep the 15W-40 in the gun.
In my part of the world Rimula X is shells most common 15w40 diesel oil. Strange that they mix things up so much for different markets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts