Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As there is no thread on other Merc engines other than OM 617, I want to start thread on 613 and 648, as they are identical pretty much I believe.

1. I had seen people managed to make stock Mercedes ECU running with no limping mode, they cut out all unnecessary BS related to environment, ESP and other.
2. I have seen running Nissan Patrol Y61 with OM 613 fully controlled by Mercedes ECM operating as standalone unit. It is a beast.

The questions are following:

Are bolt pattern for 617 and 613 for bellhousing and crank adapters the same? Can adapters produced by 4x4Labs used in swap of the 613?

This is the vid proving that the OM 613 is viable swap candidate. It has governed max speed of 4250 RPMs, 197 HP and sweet torque curve of 470NM starting 1800 to 2600 RPMs and can be easily tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMKkIWlZeyI

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Interesting project, i'd be glad to see how it progresses. Bad news on the bolt pattern though, i asked around and it's definitely different than 617.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have talked to the guys who did the Nissan Patrol and made my decision, as soon as I get another vehicle for my daily work (due to my job I have make long runs on very bad roads) I will turn my Cruiser to them, shop guys said it will take two month to do the swap.

I was concerned about the sump position, I looked the way how they do it and now my mind in peace. Oil sump and pump is used from OM 648, pump is still located at the front, but the oil pick up tube is on the rear. So the oil sump is more shaped as Land Cruiser's sump, it just need little modification and welding.

Brakes - the vacuum pump will be used from G-class as it has the higher efficiency. Bolt pattern is the same, just bigger pump.
Tacho - Mercedes ECU takes readings from sensor counting the flywheel RPMs, so there is nothing to trouble with. We will take the readings from that sensor.
AC Compressor - this is under question mark, as we will be going only experimental. We will hook it up and see if mercedes compressor coupe up with Land Cruiser's cooling system.
Power Steering - also under question mark, we can only hook it up and test it. If not, we will take it from heaviest G-class.
EGR - will be removed and ECU re-programmed.
Alternator - 200Amp should be plenty. Watertight and cooled by engine cooling system.
Cooling - new shroud will be made using the toyota's viscous coupling and fan, we will be ditching the merc's coupling and fan.
Air filter - will be using original merc's - it will give us extra space under the hood.
Original Webasto from Merc along with cold countries package - will be installed as the Common Rail engine heat efficiency is very low. Thanks to merc's engineers it all comes in one package and controlled by merc's ECU.

Adapter plate and transition piece for crank - plate and transition piece will be made by the shop, the only concern is high strength bolts, seems like we will be ordering these from custom manufacturers. as we are mating it to the manual, it is still under question mark if we want to use original flexplate or from 612 manual dual mass flywheel, it is only for damping the vibration. But knowing how the Cruiser behaves at low revs and vibrations during hard take off it would be a good addition to have dual mass flywheel.

As soon as I turn it in, I will start posting pictures.

Total budget - halfcut 2001, W210 3.2 - $2000.00 (everything what's left will be turned in to parting out shop)
Work and fabrication - $2000.00

I think it is the best option, cheap engine (engine itself can be purchased for $700-1000 on ebay) straight to the stock transmission, engine lighter than stock Land Cruiser's engine for over 150 KGs. We scaled the merc's engine - fully buttoned up engine is 230 KGs vs toyota's 390 KGs :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Slowly progressing, engine pulled out of halfcut. The oilsump modified and oil pump from OM 648 installed.
The starter is about to die, so in needs repair.

You can notice the oil dipstick's hole on the left side of the oilsump. The the stock intercooler is too small, we need bigger one.

Next step is to inspect all injectors, chain and preliminary start up. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Progressing really well for the last month, the project was onhold for sometime. Right now we are on adapter plate and flywheel designing and manufacturing process. ECU is almost complete. Engine is tested and ready for the drop in. Photos will follow.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I think it is the best option, cheap engine (engine itself can be purchased for $700-1000 on ebay) straight to the stock transmission, engine lighter than stock Land Cruiser's engine for over 150 KGs. We scaled the merc's engine - fully buttoned up engine is 230 KGs vs toyota's 390 KGs :)
even though it's still quite a controversial move from bigger engines to those relatively smaller but more rev-happy ones, depending on terrain conditions the lighter engines may actually improve the handling on rough terrain

1 - 9 of 9 Posts