Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

om352- om352a vs 6bt cummins fuel economy mpg or kpg miles per galon kilometer per

12K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  edpruss 
#1 ·
Whay the 6bt does 22 mpg and the 0m352a does 12 mpg? if the 6bt is 5.9 and hier revolution and the 0m 352a is 5.7 and lower revolution? is it the fuel

#4 ·
Well thats information I found on google about this two motors. Im building a truck with front and reare rockwell 2 1/2 ton axles, rockwell transfer, chasis and creew cab from an international 4000 series, Road ranger 10 transmisión . And first I was planing on buying a 6bt but its too expensive (s3500) here un Guatemala. But I have a om352a..... I will have to do some work with it to fit the transmisión but nothing imposible. What Im worrie about id the fuel consumption. It will be more like a pickup truck ( mxt ,cxt international) it will always be under loaded. But id what i found on internet id true ... 10 more miles per galón is lot plus more power with the 6bt and not to many transmisión adaptation. What do you think. Sorry for my writing but its the auto correct of my cellphone trying to correct everithing un spanish

#5 ·
I'm with irhunter, would need to know what vehicles the units that you were looking at were in and their drivelines.
Do not have details on hand but have been looking for info on the 352's and ended up on some Unimog sites. These would be similar in spec to what you have planned. May pay to see what you can find fuel consumption with the Unimogs, they used these engines.
Can check with a mate, he has a bus with a 352 and Allison AT545. I know it is not great on fuel.
Cheers Steve

#6 ·
From what I have read these are pretty old engines, a lot older than a 6bt, so they probably aren't as efficient as a cummins . That's just my idea tho :)

If you have it laying around, I'd say go for it! I love seeing something different.

#10 ·
Is this a turbo'd engine. If not and you are looking at adding a turbo make sure it has oil squirters under the pistons
Worth having a good look via Google on these engines. They were used for some years and there were upgrades including the cylinder head.

#12 ·
hi convertet a Toyota landcruiser a fit a KHD BF6L turbo aircoold 164KW with a bell b20 adt allison flatbox A/T fuel consumbtion with 120KM/houer towing on road 15lt/100KM off road 18lt/100KM towing attop rpm 2450 i have fittet a welding alternator ( 3.15 ) my old engien 1hd td ude just abaut the same the deutz is 125kg heavier i fittet an extra main blade and doobel bilstein shocks it works out just fine. i have done already about 60000km no problems. about OM 352 great and relayebel engiens no electronics old technologie but good. cummins 4BT3.9 and 6BT5.9 are not good engiens under constand load after 8000houers worn out even eith service intervalls of 150houers changing all filters and oil. nobody must tell me the new cummins are good engiens and strong i had many breakdowns with blown oilcoolers 4 and 6BT 's. if you want doo convert something in the USA take a PERKINS engien and not a malaisien CUMMINS. i am an earthmovind and miningmaschin diesel mechanik. a.d with about 55 years expirience. good look with conversions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.