Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's cx-7 is getting more and more worn out. I'd like to get something with a little more room, but I'm not into taking the hit in mpg. Started looking into tdi swaps but I like the idea of a mechanically injected mercedes better. I've found a ton of swaps with om617s hooked to ax-15 5 speeds, but my wife can't drive stick so that option is out. Curious if anyone has done a jeep conversion with an auto. I'm totally ok with doing whatever fab to do the rest, but I'm not sure where to go for an adapter for the 60x series.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Are you set on the Mercedes?
the V2203 Kubota is another good candidate and we have an adapter to Jeep aw4.

check out rusty autoholic guy on YouTube.
He is swapping an 06 wrangler RHD with a V2403 and Aw4 from a cherokee.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should have mentioned I'm in California. Has to be out of a car or 1/2 ton pickup(same year or newer) for smog purposes, otherwise I'd be open to whatever. Once the swap is legal the vehicle becomes smog exempt (97-earlier diesel). I'm basically limited to 6.2/6.5 Detroit, VW TDI or mercedes(617 is too old). My original plan was to do a smog exempt wagoneer, but the prices are getting out of hand and that adds a lot of restoration on top of a swap.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mac,
I am in California too, I know the rules. there are ways to get around it but it sometimes is just luck.
Funny you mention a wagoneer. My daily is a 6bt swapped 91 waggy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mercedes diesel to a 4wd 700r4 should work, it's low 1st gear makes it a good choice behind the MB diesel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mac,
I am in California too, I know the rules. there are ways to get around it but it sometimes is just luck.
Funny you mention a wagoneer. My daily is a 6bt swapped 91 waggy.
Yeah I don't think I want to count on luck to get a swap approved.

Can you drive downhill with that 6bt up front? Lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
I understand. California is really hit or miss.

The waggy does okay. It is getting another round of upgrades soon which consists of everything but the engine. Lol

trans/t-case, axles and suspension, fuel system, gauges, a WB stretch, 37s etc.

What year cherokee are you looking at building?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mercedes diesel to a 4wd 700r4 should work, it's low 1st gear makes it a good choice behind the MB diesel.
Are there adapters available for the om60x for GM autos?

I have come across some of those swaps with the 4.0. I'm assuming the transfer case will work with the 700r4. It's not a bad idea although I'm betting all the things needed to convert over to a GM trans might add up pretty quick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand. California is really hit or miss.

The waggy does okay. It is getting another round of upgrades soon which consists of everything but the engine. Lol

trans/t-case, axles and suspension, fuel system, gauges, a WB stretch, 37s etc.

What year cherokee are you looking at building?
View attachment 128289
I've definitely heard of people getting away with various swaps that aren't technically "legal". I think it just comes down to who inspects it.

I'm looking at doing an XJ. New enough to have the modern amenities without all the restrictive garbage.

When I first started looking into doing this I was actually leaning toward doing a 4runner and TDI but I ran into kind of the same thing. The only adapters are for the 22re trans when it comes to autos, which probably won't hold up well to 300ft/lbs. Plus my wife prefers the look of the cherokee.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it appears there are adapters for OM60X to GM auto as well as adapters to fit the jeep transfer case. So I guess worst case if I can't find an adapter for the torqueflight I could swap in a 700r4.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think GM reached a pinnacle with auto trans design in the 700R4 and would have no problem putting one in anything that won't destroy it with too much torque. Nice OD and a good low first gear too. Find a 'K' case version for the bolt-on converter cover and the stouter, 4wd intended use case. As a bonus you might find it with a LH drop NP241C already bolted in place. If you do, and it will fit the chassis, I'd run that instead of the 231.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How late did the VW 1588's run? Does it have to come from a vehicle of that year, or just be available in that year?

If mileage is your thing, those VW's are tops, the only thing I ever got more mpg from was my dad's Peugeot, and it was a 1.9, the same mechanical diesel engine that ended up in UAZ and Nivas that was in the 2000's I think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How late did the VW 1588's run? Does it have to come from a vehicle of that year, or just be available in that year?

If mileage is your thing, those VW's are tops, the only thing I ever got more mpg from was my dad's Peugeot, and it was a 1.9, the same mechanical diesel engine that ended up in UAZ and Nivas that was in the 2000's I think.

Are you referring to the 1.6td like in the 80s golfs? If so that's a little light in the power department. Something like 60hp 100ft/lbs.

Basically what it comes down to with the smog requirements is that it has to meet or exceed the emissions standards for the year of the vehicle. Also has to have been available in the US.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah my bad, thought you were repowering the Mazda.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
A whole lot of people have learned to drive a stick shift trans, perhaps your wife could learn.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you referring to the 1.6td like in the 80s golfs? If so that's a little light in the power department. Something like 60hp 100ft/lbs.

Basically what it comes down to with the smog requirements is that it has to meet or exceed the emissions standards for the year of the vehicle. Also has to have been available in the US.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using
So it appears there are adapters for OM60X to GM auto as well as adapters to fit the jeep transfer case. So I guess worst case if I can't find an adapter for the torqueflight I could swap in a 700r4.

if your cx7

if your cx-7 is 97 or older no need to worry. I have a 97 wrangler with a 4bt. When I finished it I took it to the Arvin ca dmv for a look see. The inspector spent less than one second looking at the motor and 2min looking at my seat belts and that my gas cap stated diesel only and the restrictor was removed. What paper you need. Go to dmv web site. Go to forms statement of fact you can type online all required info. At the bottom for reason type in “ engine change from gas to diesel” print make appointment to dmv. Do not use excess verbiage keep it simple. For 98 or later you have to go to the referee and all those rules apply. To make sure the info here is up to date call dmv and confirm. Good luck

·
Registered
260 Posts
If your after fuel mileage you cant beat the VW. If your stuck on full mechanical then a 98-2003 ALH is what you want as you can put a 300tdi pump on it with little effort. In fact I have one sitting in my pile o parts from when I thought I wanted full mechanical. You can pick the pumps up from over seas for less than $300 off a good runner.

Now I will say the stock ALH is a VE pump with a electric rack its very basic and will run with 7 wires and is easy to have tuned. My simple setup makes near 180hp and 300+ftlbs and gets 29mpg+ every tank. If going full mechanical expect about 1mpg less properly tuned.

As for automatic adaption its being done and is a non-issue. look at TDconversions. All the adapters mirror the block of the Gas engine donor so it dosent care if it has an auto or a manual. Making the auto shift can be done multiple ways from fooling the stock ecm to running a U-shift box. Doing a XJ TDi to factory automatic has already been done and there are a few write ups on that specifically.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've definitely heard of people getting away with various swaps that aren't technically "legal". I think it just comes down to who inspects it.

I'm looking at doing an XJ. New enough to have the modern amenities without all the restrictive garbage.

When I first started looking into doing this I was actually leaning toward doing a 4runner and TDI but I ran into kind of the same thing. The only adapters are for the 22re trans when it comes to autos, which probably won't hold up well to 300ft/lbs. Plus my wife prefers the look of the cherokee.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think GM reached a pinnacle with auto trans design in the 700R4 and would have no problem putting one in anything that won't destroy it with too much torque. Nice OD and a good low first gear too. Find a 'K' case version for the bolt-on converter cover and the stouter, 4wd intended use case. As a bonus you might find it with a LH drop NP241C already bolted in place. If you do, and it will fit the chassis, I'd run that instead of the 231.
Aftermarket has come up with some cures but question is how much torque is too much torque?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts