Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there is no other section dedicated to mercedes engines it it seems like we need a thread here to discuss swaps of the later mercedes mechanical diesels which are commonly swapped.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Basic information https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM606_engine

6cyl, 3L, indirect injection. 4 valve head, twin overhead cam.

Model years 98-99 for turbo motor in US. Non-turbo earlier.

Stock Turbo hp 177 at 4400 rpm with 330 n-m torque at 1600 rpm

Electronic IP in stock form. Swappable to om603 mechanical pump for increased fueling. Rebuilds from dieselmeken, myna, ppd, (herlevi?) Others. Can also swap 6mm elements from electronic pump into 603 pump (original 5.5) for modest increased fuel using stock elements.

Stock k14 kkk turbo widely considered undersized. Tdo5-16g 10cm recommended by Alcaid for the 6mm element swap/approx 200hp. Hx35, hx40, hx50 turbos used for higher power levels with reworked pumps.

Custom manifolds and turbos available from kkdmotorsport, f-tune performance, turbobandit, others.

Turbo motor more widely available in Europe. Check superturbodiesel.com for people who will find working motors and ship them to you from the uk.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems weird that there are not more of these motors going in. But then it is 4btswaps, not 606 swaps :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
You don't see many swap for the 606
In the US because the engines are fairly hard to find, and when you do find one they are pretty pricey.
And then there is the fact that they are just plain overlooked by most

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agree with you, Atg. I got a complete 99 turbo diesel car for $2k. Runs great-rusty body. It's going into a 97 F150 4x4. These 3L 4v motors are awesome. So much smoother than a cummins (which by nature has virtually uncontrollable low RPM torque spikes!) and is actually made for a car/light truck-not a bread truck or tractor. It will have an earlier om603 mechanical 7.5mm Dieselmeken super pump and a Holset Hx35w turbo all setup for 300HP. Will be single wire 12v and no computer! My big challenges will be instrumentation/tranny adapter/plumbing/engine mounts/exhaust. Bendtsens will be supplying my adapter so I can use my E4OD with a standalone tcu and a suitable torque converter that Bendtsens will also most likely supply. Hopefully I'll be getting the thirsty boat anchor (5.4) out of the truck this winter and get a build thread started. Any experience out there with om606.962 swaps will be welcomed input. The Europeans and a few North Americans over at the STD site have been a magnificent help getting this project off the ground.

·
Super Moderator
8,748 Posts
Agree with you, Atg. I got a complete 99 turbo diesel car for $2k. Runs great-rusty body. It's going into a 97 F150 4x4. These 3L 4v motors are awesome. So much smoother than a cummins (which by nature has virtually uncontrollable low RPM torque spikes!) and is actually made for a car/light truck-not a bread truck or tractor. It will have an earlier om603 mechanical 7.5mm Dieselmeken super pump and a Holset Hx35w turbo all setup for 300HP. Will be single wire 12v and no computer! My big challenges will be instrumentation/tranny adapter/plumbing/engine mounts/exhaust. Bendtsens will be supplying my adapter so I can use my E4OD with a standalone tcu and a suitable torque converter that Bendtsens will also most likely supply. Hopefully I'll be getting the thirsty boat anchor (5.4) out of the truck this winter and get a build thread started. Any experience out there with om606.962 swaps will be welcomed input. The Europeans and a few North Americans over at the STD site have been a magnificent help getting this project off the ground.
An HX35 on that 3 litre engine will have very little below 3,000rpm which will be hot and somkey on a F150. I think I sized up a 300hp compound set for a guy on a UK forum which was to deliver strong and clean low end boost. I'll see if I can find that later.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to see that compound setup for 300hp.

I have been looking for compounds for 200hp and seriously considering the r2s with either k03s/b2 7064 (Iveco truck 3.0L with about 168hp) or the one from the 2005? Bmw 535d.

I did see one 606 youtube vid claiming 374hp from 115cc using 6mm elements, so I could probably turn my pump up for more fuel, but I am more interested in spool at or below 1500rpm and it seems these compounds use very small hp turbos to liven up the bottom end of the rpm range.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interestingly, they recommend using small turbos with bypass of both compressor and turbine of small turbo at higher rpm. So it is a compound at low rpm only. This is for light passenger vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
8,748 Posts
Interestingly, they recommend using small turbos with bypass of both compressor and turbine of small turbo at higher rpm. So it is a compound at low rpm only. This is for light passenger vehicles.
They are using absolutely tiny turbos as they have to meet emissions targets at all times. That's why they need to bypass them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does that mean they want to run egr all the time so they need extra airflow at low rpm also?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am no longer running egr so performance low end should be fantastic. It is expensive but ready made if it will fit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yah pretty sure the 3.5 came in the 350sdl. It had a reputation for bending rods.

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE=Dougal;795410]An HX35 on that 3 litre engine will have very little below 3,000rpm which will be hot and somkey on a F150. I think I sized up a 300hp compound set for a guy on a UK forum which was to deliver strong and clean low end boost. I'll see if I can find that later.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. Alcaid on the STD forum sold me an HX35 with a 10cm exhaust housing which will permit good spool below 3000 RPM and still attain my 300HP requirement. Still would like to know about the compounds though.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts