Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me out with the stock boost pressure and fuel injection quantities for an OM606? I need this information to get the bigger turbo sizing right.

Do they have an emissions/epa/information sticker like the 4BT/6BT/OM612 etc have? Here is an example pic of what I'm looking for:

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
A guy in Finland who rebuilds pumps for these engines says the stock turbo om606 electronic pump is set up for 65cc max fuel. I do not know what the stock max boost is.

I am having a pump built. I need to tell the guy what fuel level. My goal is perhaps 500hp. So maybe 170cc. Usually this is run with a Super hx40 or equivalent turbo.

But I would compound it to make it more driveable and less smoky. Maybe the tdo5L-16g small 10cm for the HP, as alcaid suggested on STD for a 200hp om606 build. I'm thinking if it works well as a single at 200hp it should work well as the hp turbo in compound. But I need to figure out what kind of boost it would take to make a cool egt at these high power levels. I think it must be a very high number of atmospheres. In that case, I could use a holset instead of the MHI for the hp turbo.

http://not2fast.com/turbo/maps/td05-16gsmall.gif

·
Registered
199 Posts
Jeemu got 529hp from an om605 with 170cc pump. Max hp from the graphs appears to occur at 5400rpm for bsfc of 0.48. But the head was reworked using larger valves I think.

·
Super Moderator
8,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure if this helps, but

The N/A om606 pump was set at 38cc maximum fuel, per this video at about 2:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO510uZ4qE0
Excellent.
2200rpm, 210Nm, 38cc/1000 shots works with 90% VE 17:1 A/F and BSFC of 264g/kwh.
5000rpm, 100kw, 38cc/1000 shots works with 85% VE, 16:1 A/F and BSFC of 289g/kwh.

·
Super Moderator
8,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So a bit of number crunching these numbers are lining up well enough.

To make ~330Nm at 1600rpm it's only producing around 13psi there and max boost is sometime later.
BSFC aroudn 230g/kwh around max torque and around 240g/kwh at max power. I think VE drops a little at higher rpm in the turbo motor over the non turbo. The non turbo can use tuned length runners to help fill the cylinders where the turbo motors just use boost. I've got reasonable agreement using 20:1 A/F at max torque and 22:1 at max power.

Stock turbine appears to be about the same flow size as a Holset HE200-5cm. Sized small for great low end torque but looks like drive pressures really climb at higher rpm.

Stock fuelling for the turbo motors appears to be around 52-53 cc/1000shots. Both at max torque and max power.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ok glad the various numbers seem to line up.

I figured the om605 and om606 would run similar boost stock of 19psi.

So for calculations at 5000rpm on a turbo om606 I will use 290g/kwh for bsfc and 0.85 for VE.

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I do not know what first stage refers to.

Basically you decide what size elements you want. Each shop seems to have their own element design which is guarded. Stock electronic pump is 6mm. Myna does 7mm and 8mm elements. Dieselmeken has a 7.5 element.

Each size of element has a range of possible fuel delivery rates, and the shop sets the pump max to the level you specify. These maximums are not the same between shops, because the elements are all different designs between shops. But the shop will say something like "max fuel delivery with 7mm elements is 170cc/1000". So you buy the 7mm, but you only want 150cc for your desired hp, so you tell them to set the pump up for that fuel level.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Bsfc of 290 should produce ~520hp at 5000 rpm with 150cc fuel. But high rpm bsfc may be worse, eg 330 at max power, and powertrain losses may be >50hp, in which case 170cc might be required to dyno 450whp.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The larger 8mm elements seem to open the door to very large fueling levels. But it becomes tricky to get the motor to not smoke before the turbo spools, idle can be hunting and not smooth, and motor can stall, particularly when cold. This is where differences btw pump shops come into play, with custom LDA setups being engineered by each shop.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There are also different cam versions for these pumps, and duration of injection varies with the cam profile also.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So any idea of max fuel from a stock pump and max fuel from a first stage upgraded pump?
Maybe one could consider 120cc stage 1, 140-150cc stage 2, and 175+ stage 3. It is sort of a semantic argument, unless there are accepted definitions of these stages.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ok Muuris over on youtube made 385 with an hx35 and 110cc. Then 446 with an hx50-sized master power turbo and 140cc maybe 5400rpm. So 140-150cc is probably the most it can burn in stock form. And even then guys are porting the head and using bigger valves. I am not sure what people do with over 200 cc of fuel unless they are serious drag racers. The 8mm pumps will get you there though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts