Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1983 om616 with oem manual transmission attached. Can I slide it into a 1987 ford ranger?

1987 ford ranger 6cyl manual 5 speed

1983 Mercedes 240d with manual 4 speed

I would like to use Mercedes motor and transmission. No adaptors plates.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The Ranger is 2WD?

Have you driven the 240D? And, you're happy with its power in that chassis?

Roy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great engine but lacking power but useable, one I do drive a 240D with an automatic and got to say it is very reliable but don’t be in a hurry , just about done with a Bronco ll with a OM 617T , a few mods done to make it fit , on yours it will be much easier to change the transmission , the few reasons is , one the stock trans has a slip yoke one the drive shaft , the 240D trans does not and has a flange , the speedometer drive has only one ratio gear , so your speedometer will be off if you could ever adapt it , the shifter will be a problem , and last you need at least a five speed to help get the truck to have decent pickup , last you will have to mod the crap out of the trucks cross member because the engine is a front sump , that can be done if you can weld and move it , the trans you can use is off the 4.2 F150 , the guys that swap in a 5.0 use this because the shifter comes trough the floor in the right spot and clutch lines hook up also along with the speedometer , and the make a ford adapter for the OM 616/617 so it would almost be a bolt in , should run well being the truck is much lighter than the Tank 240 body , hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts