Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how stupid this would be.

My faithful 240D gave up to dread rust yesterday, as the driver seat went thru the floor whilst I was driving it. (thankfully just the one side)

Turns out there's no floor pan left to weld.

I've got the motor running so nice, that I want to put it in something else and keep going (open to suggestions on easy swaps). I also have an old Suburban ('83) with a seized 350 in it. The Merc I think is about 3200lb and the 'burb is maybe 3800?

The burb is 2 wheel drive, with a 700R4.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you are good with 0-60 in a mile and a half then go for it. A bronco 11 or s10 blazer I could see. It would certainly get you there and be one off. Can you fit two of thrm side by side in the engine bay lol?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly, I am OK with that. It's not for hauling big loads, or climbing rocks, or blasting thru mud, it's just for chugging around the back roads.

I never pushed the Merc, I think I was averaging 45-50 on the back country roads, which was all I would drive it on.

Does anyone make an OM616 to 700R4 adaptor? I'd like to keep the manual trans, but putting a clutch pedal in the burb, and cutting a hole in the floor for the shifter seems like maybe a bit too much.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The Merc I think is about 3200lb and the 'burb is maybe 3800?

The burb is 2 wheel drive, with a 700R4.
I think your Suburban weight estimate is considerably low. For instance, 2wd 1/2-ton 2015 Suburban weighs 5,600.

My suggestion: find a 2wd Toyota truck or 4runner for your 240.

Roy

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
411 Posts
The specs I see: 62 hp @4k and 97 ft. lb. @ 2400.

I owned a 1972 220, and I loved the car, but it was criminally slow. No power, no torque.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey if I can get it to 50 hauling my ass, I'll be happy, it's the way more powerful 72hp / 101 ft lbs version anyways :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still wondering on this, there are OM to 700R4 adaptors, but maybe keeping the transmission is an idea. That would require a custom driveshaft?

I just don't get auto trans, is stall speed based on engine RPM or torque? Given I can lug this at under 1000rpm with a manual.

P

·
0 Posts
Yes there are om6xx to chevy adapters. They run 900-1000 bucks. There are only one or two sources that I've seen

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yarr, but what about stall speeds? I think it makes peak torque between 1600 - 2000, is there anyway to drop the stall speed of one, preferably without forking out for a new converter?

Especially if I decide to use something pulled from a tractor instead, they go to around 2500rpm tops. :D

P

·
0 Posts
Or upgrade to a 606, guys are getting serious power out of those.

Fwiw the 616 would be underpowered in a trooper.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Or upgrade to a 606, guys are getting serious power out of those.
even a stock one would be enough to provide a reasonable performance for a suburban

Fwiw the 616 would be underpowered in a trooper.
considering the earlier trooper featured the c223, the 616 wouldn't be too underpowered at all

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Underkill?
i meant the suburban would be quite overkill... remember english is not my native language

but those compact trucks fitted with a horizontal-single engine actually look quite interesting (there are some videos showing a tiller-tractor fitted with a similar engine outperforming heavily-tuned trucks at drag races)

P

·
0 Posts
even a stock one would be enough to provide a reasonable performance for a suburban

considering the earlier trooper featured the c223, the 616 wouldn't be too underpowered at all

In the states we got some turbo diesel troopers.

Aerodynamics of a brick and highways where people usually cruise 75 to 80 mph...

I guess it would be cool in an around town and off road rig.

I'd do it if i already owned both cars and enjoyed the time in the garage, i just think it was under powered in a mid sized sedan. Throwing 30 inch tires on it with a square body isnt gonna do it any favors.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would be OK (the 240), if it had a fifth gear, or a shorter gear in the diff, but it has neither of those.

Maybe I should figure out the top speed, theoretically with the diff in the burb on a 1:1 vs. the 700R4 which has overdrive.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
In the states we got some turbo diesel troopers.

Aerodynamics of a brick and highways where people usually cruise 75 to 80 mph...
you mean the ones with round headlamps like this one with a c223?

or the ones with square headlamps which were available with the 4jb1? the 4jb1-tc doesn't feel so underpowered at all

1 - 20 of 27 Posts