Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
I think it was the C223 we got. I was just a kid or teenager for the short time we had them. Diesels have not been big in my area until about the 90s when cummins and powerstroke came around. Someone who knows more than me would have to verify. I looked at a few usa diesels before my first diesel swap into an fj60 and the isuzu engines we got would not have done well that i found.

We also had diesel s10 with a na diesel. Speed limits on the freeway back then were 55, luckily for those owners it would hit 60 on flat ground with a good tail wind.

You guys in other country's got turbo diesel options we can only dream of.

If people from other countries wonder why it took Americans so long to fall in love with diesels look at what vehicles we got.

The om617 was the best production diesel engine we got in the states up until the 6bt. (Other than box trucks and other large commercial type vehicles)

All our diesels up until that time were greatly underpowered or very unreliable or both.

Look at the gm 4.3 and 5.7 engines

Or the 6.2/6.5

Ford had the 6.9 and early 7.3 but again, slow but they were reliable.

Most of our diesels were little 80 to 90 hp small jettas, your MB and a rare isuzu. Im sure there have been a few more like the illusive perkins powered jeep.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
All our diesels up until that time were greatly underpowered or very unreliable or both.

Look at the gm 4.3 and 5.7 engines

Or the 6.2/6.5

Ford had the 6.9 and early 7.3 but again, slow but they were reliable.
You missed hideously oversized and thirsty :(

Ford also did the diesel ranger first with a 2.2 Perkins I think then a Mitsubishi I think? Dodge also had those Mitsubishi powered pickups.

I've just never figured the inability of the US to grasp 4 cylinder engines. Diesel or petrol. Ford Transit 2.5 diesel, Ford Econoline 6.9 then 7.3 :D

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I've just never figured the inability of the US to grasp 4 cylinder engines. Diesel or petrol. Ford Transit 2.5 diesel, Ford Econoline 6.9 then 7.3 :D
sure if a 2.5L 4-cyl diesel would be so suitable there, but argentinian and brazilian diesel versions of the f-series ranged from 3.3L to 4.3L, not considering the medium-duty models

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Where are those engines from? Are they assembled in South America?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
I forgot all aboit the little ranger and dodge diesels. That kinda shows you how bad they were that i don't recall seeing either.

So when dodge came out with the 6bt, especially the one around 94 with some impressive factory power it caught on. Sadly it took dodge forever to get a transmission to stand up behind it.

In my area for every 20 or so repair shops there is only 1 that does diesel. Had a sprinter van break down in my parking lot the week before Xmas. Had the dreaded v6 diesel. The guys were from 2 hours away. I called 4 shops to ask about getting it towed and repaired to get the guys home. After several phone calls to local shops i had at least 2 of them tell me they either they dont do them or were too busy to look at it for the next few days, but several warned me against letting them take it to the local MB dealer.

I pretty much had every shop around me tell me no they cant help. Luckily the guys spoke really good English and i was able to help a bit. There is a race shop next to me and since i was not getting but 12.25 volts and dropping from the alternaror i assumed it was just the alternator. I got it jumped off for them and they were able to drive next door. Ended up being something else that was not allowing the alternator to turn on and the guys had to catch a ride back home and the truck towed somewhere.

I don't know how long those guys bad been in America but i do know they have zero faith in getting their diesel repaired in case of an emergency in Greenville sc.

Kinda makes me wanna burn down the oudoor power equipment shop and start doing diesels!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah, though actually I know of a couple of diesel places locally here.

I think more people would buy them in commercial stuff, if it wasn't such an expensive option, usually $5,000 - $10,000 more.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts