Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulled the hood off of the jeep today (needed help handling it) in preparation for removing the front clip. I have to move it 20 miles to my shop so I didn't want to just lay it back. The engine is already out, trans is still in place. There is a bunch of work to be done on the front end. finish shackle reversal get motor in to see what hits. most probably the oil pan will have to be sent out as I don't weld that well.
Hopefully the donor car will be here this week. 1982 300D, OM 617 turbo

Happy Hunting

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After staring at the car engine bay this afternoon and trying to look past the obvious things that i need to keep ( remove from the car) it occurred to me I need to know more before I tear into it. for instance How is the wait to start light get turned on (where does it hook to) is it a function of the glow plug controller do I need a MB electrical schematic.

archie

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just remove the small magic black box.....It is on the drivers side front fender somewhere. That is the glow plug controller. If you google it there are several diagrams for hooking it up to work in your jeep. Its super simple once you see how it works. Or I have seen guys get rid of the box and use a realy and a button to activate the glow plugs.

·
Registered
860 Posts
remember you need to mark the flywheel position on the crank before you pull it off----more guys regret the missing the mark later on......

·
Registered
199 Posts
After staring at the car engine bay this afternoon and trying to look past the obvious things that i need to keep ( remove from the car) it occurred to me I need to know more before I tear into it. for instance How is the wait to start light get turned on (where does it hook to) is it a function of the glow plug controller do I need a MB electrical schematic.

archie
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/12265/disc_2/program/Engine/617/15-705.pdf

By the way all that wiring isn't necessary unless you want it. All i got for glow plugs is a wire from where the battery connects to the starter to a push button switch in the firewall and then straight to the glow plugs. One could fuse it but i haven't.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yesterday not much going on the swap front except working on another project so I can clear the garage bay to get the benz in to start Deconstruction. Getting an account setup on pelican parts web site . Current list is about 100.00 new glow plugs, gaskets ect.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/12265/disc_2/program/Engine/617/15-705.pdf

By the way all that wiring isn't necessary unless you want it. All i got for glow plugs is a wire from where the battery connects to the starter to a push button switch in the firewall and then straight to the glow plugs. One could fuse it but i haven't.
Thank you
There is a little arrow on my dash that lights up no idea what it is for but thinking of using it for the wait to start light.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gauges

Dashboard gauges, I would like to make all of them work

Tachometer, I am going to give this Dakota digital tachometer interface a try

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=128/category_id=287/mode=prod/prd128.htm

I may change the gauge cluster to a first year YJ wrangler to use the cable from the trans to drive it or try this speed generator

http://www.vdo-instruments.com/sensors/speed-rpm-and-rotational-sensors/standard-gm-7-8-18-heavy-duty.html

and calibrate it with this as axle ratios will be changing

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/category_id=287/mode=prod/prd126.htm

Find someplace to mount a Boost gauge, Pyrometer and Voltmeter

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok the shop bay was cleared and the benz was pulled in under it's own power. It had no trouble starting after setting 3 or 4 days. Rear emblems removed. hood removed and started draining fluids. things will gain momentum tomorrow assuming work doesn't get in the way lol

archie

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just remove the small magic black box.....It is on the drivers side front fender somewhere. That is the glow plug controller. If you google it there are several diagrams for hooking it up to work in your jeep. Its super simple once you see how it works. Or I have seen guys get rid of the box and use a realy and a button to activate the glow plugs.
MF,
I just watched the first video you posted (this my fourth or fifth time through the thread) you used the little box with the relays in them I am wondering what for. It is not the glow plug box but the one that has 2 relays in it and the black removable plastic cover.

Thanks You for pushing my swap along
archie

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Little pup 2
trying to get the hang of this photo posting thing. lots of info to post this is a little clumsy.

archie

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok, about 5 years ago I had a web presence and had a complete build thread in photo's however it is gone. I still have the photo's but the web site no longer exists. so It will take some time to pull this together an overview on the photo hosting site.

I made a mess in the shop today (oil and antifreeze). started the teardown process. the exhaust with flex and bellows are intact. getting down to the bellhousing bolts and motor mounts so hopefully tomorrow the motor will come out and the body will get shoved out of the shop.

archie

·
Registered
245 Posts
Archie...Not sure which one of my videos you are talking about. Was the engine still in the car? or in the jeep? The black box with the cover you are seeing is most likely the factory MB glow plug controller. post the video link or a picture of the box so i can see what you are looing at.I have a simple diagram on here somewhere that shows how to use the MB glow plug controller. I have been using it for almost two years now without any trouble and I drive the thing everyday to work....whether its -5 or 95.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts