Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

There was no muffler however this part was solid and the two bellows are intact and was being held up with baling wire lol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Getting there

Down to bell housing bolts, torque converter bolts and motor mounts just about ready to come out. all wiring was cut from car and is folded up on top of the motor( plenty long ) \

I hope everyone is having a good evening

archie

P.S. I tired

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
These photos were taken in the fall of 2002

YJ's have a bunch of wiring under the hood I pulled out the under hood fuse box and a ton of wiring and left only the wires that were needed to run and monitor the 401 V8. The wrangler frame is 3" wider than A CJ frame so I had some 1 1/2 inch spacers made and put crush sleeves in the frame. I am going to try my best to re use those sleeves.

The sending unit modification

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK we are mostly up to date. As of this evening the motor is out. Headed for the car wash tomorrow.

Happy Hunting
archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Spent most of the day stripping and getting the motor hosed down with "Totally Awsum Cleaner" and taking it to the car wash to get it cleaned up. I ended up soaked and very dirty. however progress is being made even if it is baby steps.

Happy Hunting
archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The way I chose to mark the flywheel was to remove the valve cover and rotate the crank until the valves on the number 1 cylinder were closed, then on the front of the motor where timing marks on a gas motor are there is a pointer on the block and a pin on the part that rotates. I lined that up. then marked the flywheel strait up. I had difficulty getting the flywheel bolts out (cheep socket) off to snap on and purchased new 12mm impact socket. (16 dollars ) I had rounded off 2 of the flywheel bolts with the cheep socket, so those needed to be ground off. after the flywheel came off the two blots with the heads ground off came out using my fingers.

I bolted the adapter plate to the rear of the motor and it fit perfect (snug over the dowel pins) so today I hope to get the motor setting in the jeep minus flywheel to see how things are gonna fit and start working on the motor mounts I am leaning toward stock MB mounts With the MB shock absorbers. The YJ is 3" wider than a CJ so I am hoping to use the siock MB motor mounts (what is bolted to the block)

Its off to the shop
archie

·
Registered
841 Posts
Here's a little of my own experience with the Benz mounts. I have used them without the shock with bad results, they are way to loose and have no strength to stay together ( they will separate easily). So I did some experimenting and found that you can use them without the shock by wrapping them with 2in wide nylon strap. I just cut off a section of my ratchet strap. What this did is provide a limit to how far they can stretch on rebound and keeps the motor from violently shaking on shutdown.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Archie, You need to mark the MB crank and flywheel. I scribed a line inside the hole in the crank and the hole in the flywheel. You can paint the surface to be scribed first with a Sharpie marker or Dykem to make the scribe line show better. I then removed the flywheel and punched a mark on both the crank and flywheel on the line. When they match balance your Jeep flywheel to the MB flywheel, they will mark your adapter and Jeep flywheel in the same place as the MB flywheel. They will be installed on the crank with the marks lining up just as they were with the MB flywheel. You may have to remove the bronze pilot bushing to see the marks to install the adapter on the crank. I didn't install the pilot bearing in mine until I had the adapter bolted on. You can see your scribe line thru the bushing hole, but it was easier to line up without the bushing in place. Also, if you remove the front pulley and harmonic balancer to replace the front seal, you MUST mark them also before you remove them. There is quite a bit of imbalance in the harmonic balancer. I hope this makes sense,
Mark Poley

·
Registered
47 Posts
Archie, Here are couple of photos that might make my last post a little clearer.

I you look closely next to the pilot bearing at about 2 o'clock, you will see the mark that the shop put on when they balanced the flywheel.

It I s a little hard to see, but here at 3 o'clock you can see the two marks, one on the adapter and one on the flywheel.
I hope this helps,
Mark

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
49 ford
First off thank you. Maybe I am over thinking this but I keep thinking that after the jeep flywheel is balanced to the MB flywheel that the jeep flywheel is installed 180 out from the mb flywheel to retain the correct balance orientation or am I missing something

Happy Hunting
archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Today Sunday August 22 2015

Motor is mocked up and there are definitely issues. the front will have to be spring over axle as the shackle reversal lowered the front end and things cannot occupy the same space at the same time lol

so it will be the oil pan kit and some major surgery and welding to the oil pan I am still chewing on which motor mounts to use.

Happy Hunting
archie

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looks good archie......and all too familiar! My oil pan was in the way exactly like yours is....its not as big of deal as you would think! Here is the number of the machine shop i used for the flywheel.

(570) 286-3063
Mapco Machine
West St
Sunbury, PA 17801

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Small Update,
Ordered the motor mounts yesterday. I decided on these from Ruff Stuff specialties http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BUSHDOM

I have decided to modify the whole aluminum pan. The pan is held to the block by 28 fasteners plus the ones holding the metal pan on. Dropped the pan off at a auto machine shop to be put in their block washer. It was still unbelievably filthy even after the wash-down at the car wash lol. It will be cut up per this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNKjH9veHhU still not sure if I will buy the kit or hit up one of my friends for some aluminum and welding.

The next step is to part out another jeep for flywheel, flywheel bolts and dial pins. The 401 out of this jeep was sold and flywheel went with it, also the 9" third member which has 411 gears. Everyone says this motor likes RPM lol

I am still looking for a local shop that will balance the flywheel. Of all things on this build I will try to document this process as closely as possible as it is the one that seems to me to be the least obvious.

Happy Hunting
archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The oil pan came out of the "parts washer " yesterday evening still dirty but all of the oil is gone. I started cutting on it last night per the video everything always takes longer than we expect/plan lol after the excess gets cut away I can use this little wire brush on a whizzer and acetone to clean it up for welding.

Happy Hunting
archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
oil pan

yesterday I cut the oil pan to final dimension the last cut around the perimeter took over an hour with me "gettin after it" here are the results. also I scrounged a piece of 1/8th inch aluminum

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Flywheel Balance

A local drag racing shop has a balancer and says they have a mandrel to do flywheels. After the holidays this will bee the next project

·
Registered
199 Posts
yesterday I cut the oil pan to final dimension the last cut around the perimeter took over an hour with me "gettin after it" here are the results. also I scrounged a piece of 1/8th inch aluminum

Nicely done. The thing to consider when you make the turbo drain fitting is that it should be above the oil level so the oil won't build up in the turbo which could damage the turbo seals.
You could also consider another fitting for recovery of oil from the crank case breather.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts