Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Got a text last night that the flywheel was ready. The mercedes motor is indeed internally balanced. hopefully things will move along a little more quickly. getting to the test run phase quickly I hope before it turns cold here.

Happy Hunting
archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Well I have the flywheel back finally and the guy who balanced it pointed out the starter ring gear was messed up so I ordered one of those so maybe this weekend I can fire up the stove lol. and start getting everything mocked up

archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Ok last night I snuck the starter ring in and baked it in the oven for 45 minutes at 450 deg then put it on the flywheel that I removed the bad starter ring from. so maybe I can clock some more progress this weekend. after I get the stove cleaned off and fired up

Happy Hunting
archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Have you had the jeep running yet?
No and my buddy asked me last night if it was ever gonna run. I didn't ask him about his various projects. the photo posting service I am paying for has changed it's rules so I cannot embed photos here. anyway I have been working on motor mounts and it's time to mate the motor to the transmission with clutch and flywheel installed. so I can get the motor mounts finished

Thanks for asking
archie

·
Registered
245 Posts
Upload your pictures to photobucket and then just copy and paste the img code in the text of your post....BaMM! It is free and works great. I've been using it for years.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Progress has been slow..... the motor is bolted to the adapter plate and is hanging from a ratchet strap sling in the frame. pushed out of the shop to allow Maintenance of the other jeep (2003 grand cherokee) it seems i had a brake line rust in two and nothing could be easy. The bleeder screws were rusted shut so 2 rear calipers.

I did drill the holes in the flywheel so when I get the motor mounts fabbed up I can pull the motor for the final time.

Happy Hunting
archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
update

today was a milestone day the motor mounts are in ratchet strap that was holding motor up is gone. and time for the motor to come back out. finish welding the motor mounts. Bolt on the flywheel and start prepping motor to go back in.

this is a test

Happy Hunting
archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold for the Pyrometer this evening and noticed a few more things that needed done lol
Happy Hunting
archie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new here. I'm getting ready to do this swap on my 95 wrangler. I have been talking to Mercedesdiesel4x4 for advice. They seem to have most parts and info on doing this swap. Just throwing this out there Incase you wanted to contact them. Thanks for all the pictures and info. Great job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jeep Conversion Om617 Hx40 billet

Just need a front and rear steel brush guard with fog lights. Looks as clean as my Computer does. Took all night to do it, up until 6:30 PM, the rest will be done tomorrow. Running at 450hp, 500 pound feet of torque and 100hp Monark 315's, 20.2 PSI turbo boost at 5000 RPMS, on Garret T3 flange 44mm Billet with blocked off Wastegate.Turbo Response time at Idle is 1/2 second. 7.5mm Bosch injection with fuel pin delete, and EGR delete. Custom 3"Inch bore resonator pipe with skidplate installed, dual backup fuel tanks, and eaton m90 supercharger in the future. Also need a new 2.88 rear limited slip differential axle with some DGR Billstein Float Coilovers. Front and rear steel brush guard finished on Thursday. Same here man, it's going to be a fun build. I'm almost 16 but I love these engines, they're so easy to work on.:);)

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Well that's good to hear! i'm glad you made it home and that you wallet found its way home too. :)
Wow has it been 4 years unbelivable i lost quite a bit of time ( being really sick and school i have my associates degree at my age lol) I have been working on the jeep for about a month now slow going there are two clutch discs that are in my pile both fit but the spline is slightly different and the larger one has a thicker hub (i suspect is the one people are having to grind down ) the correct one is worn out lol .I used a spare bellhoustng to spin the motor over but it is grinding pretty bad so i am going to cut a hole in the spare bellhousing to see what is wrong with the engagement hopefully I can just shim it out. The motor has been mounted up in the jeep for some time without the flywheel/clutch and oil filter housing I am going to use the oil filter housing one way or the other so we will see how it goes getting really close to firing it

I have to go back and re read all your posts it has been so long i have frogotten most of what I think I knew like ports at the rear of the intake manifold, what the alda valve on the pump does and do i need it and how to make it work if i do I want the motor to shut down with the key and possibly with a manual "emergency" shut down from inside the cab

I have figured the turbo drain back using -8 steel jic fittings.

the weather has turned and i am working outside so that is slowing things down as well
Happy Hunting
archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I am back at it today I am having starter issues the drive gear seems to be binding and going too far in and being too clost to the flywheel. also getting the fuel tank cleaned out.

archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
It's Thanksgiving day 2019, Current issues... when I moved the fuel filler to the side from the back ( to use trailer lights) it ended up kinking the fuel filler hose so i will have to replace it with a TJ fil hose and pull the extender out of the vent hose to give me the ful 20 gallons. I turned the glow plug wires around so i could moint the relay on the firewall .. get a better feed out of the harness to drive the glow plug relay (small (red wire black stripe) it works perfectly when hooked directly to the battery. undecided about the presure side of the power steering hose stock jeep hosed spliced into the MB hose or cut and flare the jeep steel line with the MB fitting on it or use AN adapters and braided teflon hose. I was able to pull the oil filter out of the housing with the engine in place. The starter is still an issue. the jeep oil sender is in place.
Just a 30 second glance as to what is going on with the swap
happy hunting\
archie

61 - 80 of 88 Posts