Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
.... undecided about the presure side of the power steering hose stock jeep hosed spliced into the MB hose or cut and flare the jeep steel line with the MB fitting on it or use AN adapters and braided teflon hose...

My solution has worked for many years and miles. Ford F150 power steering box and a Dodge power steering pump on a Cummins 4bt. Bought new pressure hoses for both the Ford and Dodge pickup applications (the existing hoses were very, very tired). Test fitted both, cut them at a place where it was convenient to work on. Had my parts house crimp on male and female connectors.

This should work for you, IF the hoses are the same diameter. Gets a little trickier if one is SAE sand the other is Metric.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
View attachment 126551
My solution has worked for many years and miles. Ford F150 power steering box and a Dodge power steering pump on a Cummins 4bt. Bought new pressure hoses for both the Ford and Dodge pickup applications (the existing hoses were very, very tired). Test fitted both, cut them at a place where it was convenient to work on. Had my parts house crimp on male and female connectors.

This should work for you, IF the hoses are the same diameter. Gets a little trickier if one is SAE sand the other is Metric.
Russ, Thank You
archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I pulled the power steering lines and the fuel filler hoses to get a hose into the tank to check for old gas. did not find any the hoses were kinked so they will be replaced. there is apparently a hose that sticks down into the fuel talk to limit the 20 gallon tank to 15 or so i am pulling that out and continuing to chase the starter issue

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
the vent tube was a pita it is out now
Ok,,,,, its alive with the correct junkyard starter , starter # 4 with a thorough bleeding and glow plugs it starts and runs. There is a leak from one of the plastic return lines....
I am wondering if the return line on the YJ is too small as well
Thank You
archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
How does one go about reparing replacing the plastic lines going to and from the injection pump

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
17 years ago i started messing with this jeeo, it had a 4cyl 5 speed in it (94 YJ) i put in a 401 with CJ running gear there were many mods one of which was the electrical system. I removed the underhood fuse box and the computer. I installed the buss bar and the circuit breakers seen on the left . the yellow wire is the start wire and the grounds are there as well . The big wire not tywrapped in is the feed for the glow plug relay which is unfused as there is one on the glowplug relay itself i am still trying to figure out the switched power for the glow plug, shutdown and the alternator also 17 years ago i installed 2 relays out here i am not sure what they do
just what i did tje glow plug wires have been turned around snd I am going to mount the glow plug relay where computer was mounted also probably replace the 2 relays with sealed ones
this text and photo is over on the o617 swaps FB page

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
1/1/2020 hopefully the correct cluch kit and YJ water tempature sensor are on order today. I think i have the wiring and vacuum straightened out so hopefully in a week or two we will be moving to final assembly and the drive around the block. then on to the other stuff...
Happy Hunting
archie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
The wiring for the Mercedes alternator, glow plug relay and shut down relay are in. There was an issue with one of the plastic line from the the injection pump to the fuel filter. I found a replacement plastic line material froM Belmetric.com and got it replaced. I have not tested it but i cut the nut off of the end of the power steering hose for the mercedes and did the same to the YJ presure hose at the pump put the nut from the mercedes presure line and hand flared it ( single flare) . the motor is in but there is an issue with the cluth the linkages are in and correct. The clutch was converted ove to a non hydraulic linkage from the previous swap so i need to pull the motor once again. I am modifying the fuel linkage at the injection pump to operate front to rear not side to side.. i need to build the bracket to hold the pivot and anchor the throttle cable which i will shorten to work properly which will give me a smooth feed with good feedback,. when i get the posting figured out again i will post photos. When i get the clutch sorted out. it will be on to the hoses. and the othe million things on the punch lit.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts