Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to see about swapping a turbo OM617 into a small pickup. I was thinking ranger but am open to other options.

A couple questions. What should I do for a transmission? I could get a MB transmission that bolts to the engine or I could got some other route and use some sort of adapter. I am a bit ambivalent when it comes to standard vs automatic.

As for engine compartment size should everything for comfortably or might I have issues? If so which of the smaller trucks has the larger engine compartment?

Any other thoughts?

A bit of backstory. I had a 93 ranger with a 4.0L v6 in it. I liked the truck but was never really pleased with the mileage (17ish). Liked the power though and was willing to deal with it because while i like MPG I will take a hit to mpg to have power when needed. Well that truck has since been scrapped after a wreck seeing as by the time I fixed everything I could just go buy another one for cheaper.

Well to replace it I ended up with a 85 300D MB that I quite like. I also got a 75 f100 as well but I am starting to think I may get rid of the F100 and try to do this swap.
My 300d has plenty of power and as far as I can tell is of similar weight to a ranger. My extended cab weighed ~3200lbs and the 300d is touted at 3500lbs although with the extra weight of the diesel I figure the ranger would go up to the same weight range.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Welcome,

I suggest you simply spend some quality time in research here on the Forum. There's a tremendous amount of information already posted to help you with your questions. It's especially hard for members to help you when you have no idea of what engine or trans you might use or even what vehicle you're planning to build!

Check out the Stickies at top of forum sections, the FAQ's catalogued by BobS. Research the Buildup Showcase section for other member's builds. Cross reference with investigating complaints in the Tech section and Performance section.

Takes some time but you can get a real education on what works, what doesn't. Once you've narrowed the field and have some idea what you want or need then start asking questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome,

I suggest you simply spend some quality time in research here on the Forum. There's a tremendous amount of information already posted to help you with your questions.
Depends on what you mean by information. I see a fair bit on doing it but not very much on making decisions on what to choose.

It's especially hard for members to help you when you have no idea of what engine or trans you might use or even what vehicle you're planning to build!
Pretty sure I mentioned the engine was going to be a OM617. As for the vehicle and transmission that was the main reason I started this thread. I did narrow it down to a class of trucks (Ranger/S10 size) though. The transmission is one of those that I really have no clear idea on which way I want to go. I could keep the MB auto but I am not sure how well it might hold up to towing anything. From what I read when looking into putting a hitch on my car I would at the very least want a large transmission cooler if I stick to an auto.
On the other hand if I switch to a manual transmission I do not have a clue how to choose one over the other so I will need help choosing.

Check out the Stickies at top of forum sections, the FAQ's catalogued by BobS. Research the Buildup Showcase section for other member's builds. Cross reference with investigating complaints in the Tech section and Performance section.
I have been reading through most of those.

Takes some time but you can get a real education on what works, what doesn't. Once you've narrowed the field and have some idea what you want or need then start asking questions.
Ive been looking into similar projects for a couple years and thought that I have narrowed it down quite a bit. If I knew what I wanted why would I even be posting?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi put an om617 into my 98 ranger. I used the stock trans (for now anyways) it is ok but it feels like the stock trans robs hp from this engine. I am running 32s with 3.73 rear end though. It seems the ax15 5 speed Manuel for the jeeps is a popular one for this engine the adapter can be bought for around 400 minus flywheel and stater. It fit pretty good in my ranger, I was able to use the factory fan and the MB radiator. This would be for a 98 to 2000 ranger the 97 and earlier would be different so keep that in mined. There are other swaps though of the earlier rangers so just look around. Hope this helps

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am putting an OM617 into a Courier with a D44 under the front end and a Toyota rear axle. It is a good swap candidate since the front crossmember sweeps back, making space for the goofy MB oil pan.
I make a kit to put the OM617 in front of a Ford small block bellhousing. It's a good combo, the big heavy flywheel makes it run smoother and increases the torque.
Ultimately, though, the vehicle choice is up to you. Most people pick a vehicle they like the looks of, or that has some special meaning to them. I picked the Courier because I am a fan of the 77-84 Mazdas, they are beefy little trucks. This is my second one, and I have plans for a third once things calm down here, but that one will be a bit different.

·
Registered
304 Posts
As Rangecedes said, I wouldn't really recommend the MB auto. It is a four speed with no overdrive so it screams on the highway (in my 300D at least). Plus as he also said, it feels like it robs the om617 of a lot of power. I would definitely go with some type of little 5 speed manual or possibly like a turbo 350?
Either way I don't recommend the stock MB auto.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The stock MB auto has two down points- First, no overdrive, and second, no lock-up torque converter. It also starts in second unless you mash the pedal to the floor (and have the first gear kickdown switch installed).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts