Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, long time lurker, first time poster here..

I'm in the planning stages of a swap, I need to replace the engine in my 2002 nissan xterra, and I have picked up an '85 300D mercedes.
Planning on changing the oil pan to a rear sump for clearance, but I'm debating which way to go with the transmission. I want to stick with an automatic for driving comfort. The way I see it, there are 2 options...
1. transplant both engine and transmission from the mercedes, and figure out how to mate the nissan transfer case to the tail of the mercedes tranny.
or
2. build an adapter plate to mate the OM617 to the nissan tranny, and run the stock TCM and ECM as gage mules to run gages and shift points.

Anybody have any experience with these, to help me figure out which sensors I have to salvage from the nissan engine to be able to run the trans/gages, or if the tailstock on the mercedes trans will mate up with transfer case?

TIA!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
The way I see it, there are 2 options...
1. transplant both engine and transmission from the mercedes, and figure out how to mate the nissan transfer case to the tail of the mercedes tranny.
or
2. build an adapter plate to mate the OM617 to the nissan tranny, and run the stock TCM and ECM as gage mules to run gages and shift points.
before going through option 1, would eventually the same transmission from the mercedes had also been used in the earlier g-class? then it would worth to keep it

when it comes to option 2, why not trying to get a gm transmission instead? at least it's easier to find adapter plates and standalone controllers for them

1 - 2 of 2 Posts