Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im pretty stumped onto what happened to my OM617. I bought the motor from a running car i heard it run it ran great brought it home changed from main seal rear main seal (bottom half) had the oil pan cut and tagged with mercedesdiesel4x4 kit.Put a new water pump and gasket new bypass hose and clamps all new bosch glow plugs (reamed the holes as well. Did a valve adjustment. new exhaust/intake manifold seal egr delete. cleaned intake manifold. Attached adapter plater new clutch and mated them together. Dropped them in welded in new motor mounts, everything was going very smooth. I ran my remote oil kit using adapter plate from mercedesdiesel4x4 had some line made up, I'm using stock oil cooler. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge and the jeep electric one installed. I ran the glow plug harness ad fuel shutoff valve all oem. i used mercedesdiesel 4x4 vacuum diagram checked for vacuum leaks with mightvac. Everything seemed good. I filled it was with mobil1 diesel oil 5w40. 2 gallons. I did not have any coolant in at this time. keyed up let the glow plugs fire the indicator light went out i turned it over and bam it fired right up. there is no exhaust on it currently. some white smoke came out but i thought that to e pretty normal. i never ran it longer than 20 seconds at a time. It had 90-100 psi on mechanical oil pressure gauge when running. the jeep oil pressure was pegged at 80psi I was turning it on and off with really no issues it was sounded pretty good little rough idle. i had it running just off a bottle of diesel in engine compartment. it did take about one second to turn off after i turned off ignition. So i think everything is going great,i mock up a throttle cable using the oem throttle pieces. i run the radiator and heater core lines fill it up with coolant turn it over it cranks and turns on but seemed to be running more rough. the longer it ran the worse it got. So i thought maybe the fuel is bad or the filters. i changed the filters and self primer with new bosch style black one, thinking I'm getting air into system some how. it kept cranking slower and slower barely firing. throwing some black smoke. it never even got up to running temp it was barely getting warm and then it just cut. i turn over the start and it just barely moves the crank. i thought my battery was dead so i put my trukpac on it and it did the same thing. i knew that could not be good, so i put my 27mm socket on the crank with breaker bar. i go to move it and i can't even budge it. SO I'm looking around praying the water pump seized or something got stuck in balancer behind it like socket or something. So i pulled out glow plugs still couldn't turn it. pulled out injectors the pre chambers are filled with diesel (idk if that is normal?) pulled off harmonic balancer because it looked like it was jammed against oil pan. can oil turn it maybe 2 degrees its moving slighty but still feeling seized. I just don't get what happenned . I pulled off vacuum pump and there was a couple little pieces of plastic in there. IDK what to do next or if the motor is just toast. PLEASE HELP!
Ill try to post the video of it running with no coolant and put the link up. THANKS! i have videos of when it started up and ran but can't post them

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can't figure why a compression ignition engine didn't burn off the fuel, unless you were really swamping it, or it wasn't making compression.

Had you turned up the fuel pump? Or was it a turbo motor that you were running NA? With the injectors out, you shouldn't be fighting compression, have you drained the oil, checked for fuel or metal in it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well pulled the motor and the pan the pan was set back to far when welded the oil pump chain grooved inside of the pan releasing aluminum all into the oil and pick up line trashing bearing and seizing motor 👎🏼

·
Registered
31 Posts
Holy Smokes! did you pull a rod cap off yet? I see the heat it created but I've seen way bigger damage and metal contamination not lock an engine up. that's super crappy man, I hate it for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts