Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new here for now but am in the process of creating a build thread for my 1999 TJ Wrangler I'm swapping an om617 mercedes diesel into. I have all the pictures together and description but wont be posting until it's complete. Anywho, I am stuck right now though.. When I remove my flywheel from the jeep engine, and the mercedes diesel engine, I know I have to balance them to one another.

My question is: Does my jeep engine and my mercedes engine have to be at TDC before I mark the flywheel to the crankshaft so I can remove both and balance each other together?

And also, on a 1999 4.0 wrangler, how does one find TDC? I can't get a clear answer and want to have to only do this once if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the information, this forum is great and it's made it possible for me to follow my dreams of having an om617 wrangler

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On a side note, I'm committed to helping others as much as I can. If you have questions about your om617 into tj wrangler swap, please message me. I will help as best as I can

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm new here for now but am in the process of creating a build thread for my 1999 TJ Wrangler I'm swapping an om617 mercedes diesel into. I have all the pictures together and description but wont be posting until it's complete. Anywho, I am stuck right now though.. When I remove my flywheel from the jeep engine, and the mercedes diesel engine, I know I have to balance them to one another.

My question is: Does my jeep engine and my mercedes engine have to be at TDC before I mark the flywheel to the crankshaft so I can remove both and balance each other together?

And also, on a 1999 4.0 wrangler, how does one find TDC? I can't get a clear answer and want to have to only do this once if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the information, this forum is great and it's made it possible for me to follow my dreams of having an om617 wrangler
Welcome to the forum.
I'm a bit unclear, are you going to bolt the jeep flywheel to the 617 directly?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you're saying to basically mark the om617 flywheel to the crank, and balance the jeep flywheel to the om617 flywheel? I just want to make sure I have this right.

·
Registered
199 Posts
They will both have to be at TDC to get them aligned properly.

Ed
I'm not following.
If the jeep flywheel is to be bolted to the MB crank then the only thing that needs to be done is the MB flywheel's balance needs to be replicated in the jeep's flywheel.
What i did i marked the MB flywheel and the MB crank before i took the flywheel off. The pistons' position is irrelevant.
My MB flywheel turned out to be balanced to zero so that was the end of it, i just bolted the replacement right in.

If the MB flywheel is not balance to zero (most of the time it will) then the replacement wheel can be aligned on a balancer with it but flipped 180 deg. both need to be balanced to zero by removing material from the replacement flywheel only, the mark from the MB transferred to the jeep flywheel which then gets flipped 180 back and bolted to the crank with the marks matching. That's it providing the jeep fw bolts straight to the MB crank.

From the Factory Service Manual:
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/12265/disc_2/program/Engine/617/03-440.pdf

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I remember correctly, the jeep flywheel only goes on one way. The bolt pattern is such where it won't fit in any other way.

I know for a fact I removed the flywheel at TDC compression on #1 piston. As far as the jeep, I was unsure if I was at TDC compression or exhaust so I will be going back tonight or tomorrow to ensure that the engine is indeed on the correct stroke.

After that, I'm sending them out to be statically balanced.

So it HAS to be TDC on compression for both engines?

·
Registered
199 Posts
If I remember correctly, the jeep flywheel only goes on one way. The bolt pattern is such where it won't fit in any other way.

I know for a fact I removed the flywheel at TDC compression on #1 piston. As far as the jeep, I was unsure if I was at TDC compression or exhaust so I will be going back tonight or tomorrow to ensure that the engine is indeed on the correct stroke.

After that, I'm sending them out to be statically balanced.

So it HAS to be TDC on compression for both engines?
617 FW has 12 bolts so there are 12 ways it can go balance-wise.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not following.
If the jeep flywheel is to be bolted to the MB crank then the only thing that needs to be done is the MB flywheel's balance needs to be replicated in the jeep's flywheel.
What i did i marked the MB flywheel and the MB crank before i took the flywheel off. The pistons' position is irrelevant.
My MB flywheel turned out to be balanced to zero so that was the end of it, i just bolted the replacement right in.

If the MB flywheel is not balance to zero (most of the time it will) then the replacement wheel can be aligned on a balancer with it but flipped 180 deg. both need to be balanced to zero by removing material from the replacement flywheel only, the mark from the MB transferred to the jeep flywheel which then gets flipped 180 back and bolted to the crank with the marks matching. That's it providing the jeep fw bolts straight to the MB crank.

From the Factory Service Manual:
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/12265/disc_2/program/Engine/617/03-440.pdf

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT... top dead center is irrelevant in balancing the engine

·
Registered
17 Posts
cmine,
I am in the process of doing this swap into a '94 Wrangler and did the step you're at this spring. Are you using a crankshaft adapter from mercedesdiesel4x4.com or something similar? If so here is what I did:

Engine position IS IRRELEVANT as has been said.

Step one is to mark relationship of MB flywheel to MB crank. Use a small metal punch and tap two indents close together on the crank, and two close together on the flywheel. These should be along a straight line originating from the center on the crank going to the edge of the flywheel.

Now remove MB flywheel and place aside. Hopefully you will be able to get the 12, 12mm, 12 point bolts out... I had to get all of mine loose with a chisel and hammer. Impact just stripped the heads. DO NOT REUSE THESE BOLTS!!! They are one time use only.

You should have already installed the MB crankshaft adapter onto your Jeep flywheel. DO NOT mark the Jeep flywheel in relation to the Jeep engine.

Now, take your Jeep flywheel and loosely bolt it up to the MB crank. It DOES NOT matter how is goes on in relation the the marks on the crank. Draw that imaginary line from the center of the crank, though the marks on the crank, out to the edge of the flywheel. Mark the Jeep flywheel along this line in the same manner as before.

Remove Jeep flywheel and take both to the machine shop and have them match balanced.

Mine turned out to be matched almost perfectly anyways but it's cheap insurance!

I hope this helped and wasn't confusing. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of this process. If you need anything clarified please ask!

(Disclaimer: This is how I did it and it worked great. There are many other ways to do it I'm sure... I take no responsibility if anything goes wrong while fallowing the above advice.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was extremely helpful. I have a Koch mercedesdiesel4x4 kit myself and I was stuck until now. I thank you very very much for chiming in. I'm looking forward to creating a thread of step-by-step for the TJ wrangler and the OM617.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts