Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old reciprocating air compressor that normally uses a 15 hp 3 ph electric motor, but I don't have 3 ph. I do have an '83 OM617 engine and auto transmission which I'm thinking of coupling to the air compressor (output shaft of the transmission to input shaft of the compressor via j-joint).
Based on a chart I have, it looks like I'd get about 25 hp if I put the tranny in 4th (1:1 ratio) and run the OM617 at 1200 rpm - that ought to be about right in terms of torque to run the air compressor. Or, if I need more power I could put the tranny in 3d (1.44:1 ratio). Before I go this route, I'd like to hear comments, so please chime in. Also, since I understand turbos don't do much at low engine rpm's, is there any reason not to remove the turbo?

·
Registered
80 Posts
removing a turbo is pointless . even at 1200 it will get better efficiency with one ..

you might be able to build a phase converter for less than $100 that would run the 3 ph motor just fine ..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. Didn't think I could get a phase converter than could handle a 15 hp motor for less than about $3,500 - that would be a vfd, not a rotary converter, but even those aren't much less. How would I build one big enough for as little as $100?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts