Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 gmc 6500 series truck with a blown up engine the truck has a allison trans in it ive decided too put a 2005 5.9 engine from a 3/4 ton dodge i got for a good deal ive located a sae#3 flywheel housing since that is what the trans has i guess my 1st question is doo i need too change the torque convertor being the blown up engine was a gas 454 and 2nd question is what flywheel doo i need for the 5.9 the one that came with the engine dosent match up with the bolt pattern on gas one and 3rd is ive searched all over trying too decifer the serial number on the trans its 9108226687 allisons site just says re trans when i put it in there im shure most of these questions have been asked before im a noobie too the cummins engines so any input is appreciated

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Gasser torque converters do not match up with Diesel engines torque range, need to get a matched unit. Need to get 6bt adapter to Allison trans.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keven,

there is an Allison thread which should answer your questions.

Ed in CO.
Thanks im having a hard time finding the right parts turns out the fly wheel housing i got shipped too me isnt the right one either its for a b series engine the one bolt hole below the cam is in wrong location and no spot for the flat o ring too seal the cam

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did gigure out the trans is a 545 allison 4 speed non lockup so alll the aftermarket stuff wont work anyway

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
If that is the Allison 545 you don't really want that one. An Allison 1000, 2000, or 3000 series is fine. You have the ISB 5.9 common rail engine and you can get SAE transmission adapters for those. Part number may be 3903282 or 4947579 shown in the photo below. There is also part 3933387 which has the starter in a lower position in second photo. Believe that these have the area for the cam seal. There may also be one with the starter on the driver's side. Most Cummins ISB 5.9 commercial engines were rear gear train while the Dodge version was front gear train.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks im going too a cummins shop here in saginaw today hopefully can get the right pieces. one morw question is why some of these made with a seal there for the cam and some not im asyming there is oil pressure there but rhe bolt hole below that area being different is got me confused

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
The B and ISB blocks are of a slightly different design. Not really sure why that cam seal became part of the picture. Have ask a Cummins engineer about that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok ive calmed down a bit and read more than my brain can handle. im going with the howards conversion parts seems simpler than Trying too track down all the factory parts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok ive calmed down a bit and read more than my brain can handle. im going with the howards conversion parts seems simpler than Trying too track down all the factory parts
Freind of mine found a housing flywheel and the 2 spacers needed along with all the bolts needed for 100 bucks paid him 100 for his time too get them the housing is for b series but the place i got the first one from has the proper isb series housing just gotta take a riad trip too gather all this stuff up

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just be sure it's SAE3 not SAE2. Those setups came both ways.
Yes its #3. I still need the corrext housing for this engine should be able too get that on monday. I was thinking about something else also the truck has a electric high pressure fuel pump in the tank already should i use that too feed the deisel engine or take it out and use something different

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
In general, you do not want to use any in tank fuel pumps for a diesel unless it was designed for that system. Another issue is there is often a fuel strainer sock on the pickup which will become clogged by diesel fuel. If the truck had a diesel originally, those parts may be OK Need to check out the specs just to be certain. The 6500 is a lot different than pickups we normally see converted.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In general, you do not want to use any in tank fuel pumps for a diesel unless it was designed for that system. Another issue is there is often a fuel strainer sock on the pickup which will become clogged by diesel fuel. If the truck had a diesel originally, those parts may be OK Need to check out the specs just to be certain. The 6500 is a lot different than pickups we normally see converted.
Thats pretty much what i was thinking i think thise vortex engines need like 60lbs or something like that too work ill just change the sendingvunit in the tank and use a Walbro pump i have here for the lift pump and add a filter too that thanks again for the help and info im shure im not done aaking questions yet

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well cant seem too find the correct housing figured out this engine needs a rear gear housing and no one has one talked too Howard yesterday and got his adapters ordered made a trip too my favorite parts store or scrap yard and got 2 fuel filter housings one is a water sperator and one has a primer pump deal built into it for fuel system and a few other peices for coolant lines when i started this project i thought ok ill get engine in and then start on camper part well camper parr is coming along nicely and engine is still on shop floor

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
If your 5.9 came from a Dodge it does not have the rear gear housing. Only the commercial truck engines were of that design.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If your 5.9 came from a Dodge it does not have the rear gear housing. Only the commercial truck engines were of that design.
parts man at cummins told me that was the only housing that would have a #3 pattern

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Something sounds odd about that. Did you tell him this is a Dodge 5.9? Of the ISB series, the Dodge is different. It didn't use the rear gear train. That housing won't work on your engine. Below is a photo of the '03 up Dodge transmission adapter. You can see the place for the cam seal near the starter hole. The 2 adapters I gave you the part number for have that same spot but it may or may not be machined for a seal. You might want to contact member CrewCab59. He is a Cummins dealer an would know for sure what is what.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Something sounds odd about that. Did you tell him this is a Dodge 5.9? Of the ISB series, the Dodge is different. It didn't use the rear gear train. That housing won't work on your engine. Below is a photo of the '03 up Dodge transmission adapter. You can see the place for the cam seal near the starter hole. The 2 adapters I gave you the part number for have that same spot but it may or may not be machined for a seal. You might want to contact member CrewCab59. He is a Cummins dealer an would know for sure what is what.
If you look at them the spot for seal is different and the bilt holes are diffetent i have the 2 exact peices they are not the same

1 - 20 of 46 Posts