Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The bolt hole location is different only housing that will fit this engine is 2 peices that is made for a hydraulic pump and other things too run off that end of the engine And moves the starter too the top of the engine that could be a hand crank off the frint for all i care but the housing wont bolt too the block eithrr way

Attachments

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
If that is true, then there is no SAE adapters for the Dodge ISB engines. You can't use a rear gear train unit because those use a different camshaft, crankshaft and oil pan. The rear gear train engines don't have the cam seal because the cam gear is out back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If that is true, then there is no SAE adapters for the Dodge ISB engines. You can't use a rear gear train unit because those use a different camshaft, crankshaft and oil pan. The rear gear train engines don't have the cam seal because the cam gear is out back.
Yes thats what ive figured out the hard way maybe someone else can save themselves the hassle. ive had from this as i found several websites saying they had the #3 housing for a isb engine but they were all the same b series

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
Probably the only way you could work this out would be to take one of the SAE adapters and have the spot machined for the cam seal. If you have the OEM Dodge adapter a machinist could triangulate the spot using the bolt holes. The ones I posted the photos of seem to have a spot in that area so it may be possible to create the adapter if all the bolt holes match up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Probably the only way you could work this out would be to take one of the SAE adapters and have the spot machined for the cam seal. If you have the OEM Dodge adapter a machinist could triangulate the spot using the bolt holes. The ones I posted the photos of seem to have a spot in that area so it may be possible to create the adapter if all the bolt holes match up.
I thought about doing that but i ordered the adapters that Howards makes still havent got them yet tho

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ups. Says parts should be here today kinda excited about this have the basic shell of the camper insulated wired and sheeted on too making stock for the cabinets and trim

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dodge was the only application that used the commonrail engines in front geartrain configuration.

That means there's no such thing as an SAE3 rear housing with the correct bolt pattern and cam seal.

What I have done a few times for guys is machine a pocket in the old style SAE3 housing and machine up an insert that lightly presses in that contains the cam seal and corrects the bolt pattern for the two bolts that are different.

This puts an SAE transmission behind a Dodge Commonrail block. If there's another way to do it I'm all ears.

If I were in your shoes I would sell the commonrail and buy a 12 valve to install in that truck.

EDIT: Sorry, somehow I didn't see there was a second page and you got it figured out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well its in there and got the mounts fabbed up just have too finish weld them the adapters worked well and were easy too install engine slipped right in
Dodge was the only application that used the commonrail engines in front geartrain configuration.

That means there's no such thing as an SAE3 rear housing with the correct bolt pattern and cam seal.

What I have done a few times for guys is machine a pocket in the old style SAE3 housing and machine up an insert that lightly presses in that contains the cam seal and corrects the bolt pattern for the two bolts that are different.

This puts an SAE transmission behind a Dodge Commonrail block. If there's another way to do it I'm all ears.

If I were in your shoes I would sell the commonrail and buy a 12 valve to install in that truck.

EDIT: Sorry, somehow I didn't see there was a second page and you got it figured out.
yes i wish i would have known that when this all got started i could have saved myself sime headaches and im shure theres more too come got looking at things last night and it seems im going too have too raise the engine and trans up in the frame too make clearing the fan and other things but ill get it figured out

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Made some progress last couple days mounts are done and engine is bolted too them used a walbro gs392 pump and a filter housing for fuel system also with a regulator in there need one more fitting and a fuel pressure gauge going too get that and a line made for the steering pump tommorow trying too get all the mechanical stuff done and a freind of mine us going too help me out on the wiring stuff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to hear you will have a friend help you with the wiring. Ask him if you should use the GMC alternator or the 5.9 alternator. Some guys use a Ford alternator for a Fummins Swap to run the Ford electronics.
Send out pictures once you complete it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Funny you should say that was just looking at the alternators last night the gm on is alot bigger than the dodge one i dont know if it will fit yet

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
Cummins had several style alternator brackets depending on which brand you used. There was one for Ford Autolite, GM Delco 10si or 12si used on GM vans, Delco 21si-24si found on medium duty trucks, and Bosch units found on industrial applications.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Cummins had several style alternator brackets depending on which brand you used. There was one for Ford Autolite, GM Delco 10si or 12si used on GM vans, Delco 21si-24si found on medium duty trucks, and Bosch units found on industrial applications.
At this point im over searching for parts there just isnt any of these engines around here in parts yards or wherever im pretty shure i can make a bracket or 2 then theres the pulley and probably a different belt i should probably adapt the hydraulic pump that was on the gas engine i doubt the dodge one has enuff flow too it too run the giant steering box and the brake booster

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
Those brackets would something you'd generally wind up buying, not pick up in a salvage yard. The stock power steering pump that came on the Cummins is pretty robust. They powered both the hydroboost brakes and steering gear. A company called Borgeson sells aftermarket models which have a rating of 1450-1550 PSI and flow 3.5 GPM. The hydraulic pumps you mention usually came of 1.5-2 ton trucks and up. Those sometimes didn't have a power assist in the steering gear but used tie rod assist slave units. Have to be careful as those pumps sometimes run higher pressure than a brake or steering system will tolerate. I have one of those pump in my spare parts bin that came from a F750/F850 Ford with the 5.9 Cummins.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Those brackets would something you'd generally wind up buying, not pick up in a salvage yard. The stock power steering pump that came on the Cummins is pretty robust. They powered both the hydroboost brakes and steering gear. A company called Borgeson sells aftermarket models which have a rating of 1450-1550 PSI and flow 3.5 GPM. The hydraulic pumps you mention usually came of 1.5-2 ton trucks and up. Those sometimes didn't have a power assist in the steering gear but used tie rod assist slave units. Have to be careful as those pumps sometimes run higher pressure than a brake or steering system will tolerate. I have one of those pump in my spare parts bin that came from a F750/F850 Ford with the 5.9 Cummins.
This truck dosent have any assist cylinder on it I'll most likely try the dodge one too start and see if it works i did make mounts for the alternator and got that on there. the pump has a 11/16 keyed shaft i scrilled thro all of the pulleys on summit and didnt find any for a flat belt 8 rib

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
The power steering pump unit used on your 2005 engine is different than those on engines 2002 and earlier. Earlier pumps were gear driven but yours was a belt drive. The pulley can be found at most auto parts stores. O'Reilly's shows it as a Dorman part number 300-149 which has a bore of .663". See photo below. Summit sells this one too.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks the pump that was on the truck had a keyed shaft on it i made a bracket for that pump also then took the center out of that pulley turned it down and bored out the center of the dodge pulley so the 2 fit together the 2 sizes should be a interference fit but i will weld them together also

21 - 40 of 46 Posts