1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
143 Posts
I work at the parts counter at an Isuzu/Cummins/International dealer so I might be able to help track down parts or part numbers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not much help as far as links go since there really weren't any when I did my swap 3 years ago. However, the engine is currently out and on the shop floor waiting to be installed in its new (and last) home. When I get things cleared out around it again I would be happy to take numbers off the bell housing and anything else that may help. Let me know.

BTW thanks for the the new catagory (especially since the focus is supposed to be cummins).

Anders

·
Registered
77 Posts
where should the timing be?? i'll need to check mine for sure. but i have been getting about 24MPG US.

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
where should the timing be?? i'll need to check mine for sure. but i have been getting about 24MPG US.
To check it's in factory spec.
Rotate the crank to TDC and pull the little hatch off the timing cover by the injector pump. You should see the timing mark on the drive gear lining up (or very close to) the arrow cast into that view port.
There's a little scratch mark in the inj pump mount plate which on mine lines up with the timing mark on the fuel pump mounting flange.

That's your factory setting, which is supposed to be quite close (it's where mine has run for ever). From there rotating the top of the pump from the block should advance timing (someone correct me if I have that backwards), towards the block retard.

A guy called Crossbones on 4x4 wire had a method to check timing using the glow plugs as cyl head temp probes. Basically the lowest voltage from them gives the lowest temp. The lowest temp at cruise is your ideal injection timing. He said it gives figures which are advanced from the stock settings.
I haven't tried this on my engine, but plan to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts