Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's involved?

I read on the 1st gen dodges you need to replace the whole timing case. Kinda seems it would be easier to just grab an originally p-pumped engine if that were true.

Anyone got any good info on this?

·
Banned
427 Posts
everything is special for the p-pump. very costly alot to change. even the cam is different. dont sell the ve pump short it will do a great job for humdreds of thousands of miles literally. i have both types and the ve will do the same job.
bob in tn.

·
Registered
27 Posts
After looking at the part numbers for the timing set, I only see that the cam is different from the naturally aspirated 4b to the turbo and turbo/aftercooled models. The crankshaft gear and cam gear are the same for the ve and p pump models. The gear for the p pump is different than the ve pump. I think all you need is a p pump with gear. Obviously the injector lines and injectors are different as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
everything is special for the p-pump. very costly alot to change. even the cam is different. dont sell the ve pump short it will do a great job for humdreds of thousands of miles literally. i have both types and the ve will do the same job.
bob in tn.
For longitivty yes but I thought the reason for the upgrade to the p-pump was the ve couldn't hold as well when pushing the engine for performance... Please correct me if I'm lost.

-TJ

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
For longitivty yes but I thought the reason for the upgrade to the p-pump was the ve couldn't hold as well when pushing the engine for performance... Please correct me if I'm lost.

-TJ
What's the limit for reliability in the rotary pump?

·
Banned
427 Posts
like i said everything is special for a p-pump engine, cam, cam gear, timming cover, fuel pump, pump supports, fuel lines, lift pump, big $$$$$$$$ to change it correctly. the difference between the two pumps mainly is the p-pump has 4 pistons inside to pump fuel to there respective cylinders, the ve pump has a central ( common ) pump with fuel distributed in a rotary vane manner. when you try to max out the fuel system in a ve pump after you reach a certain point the idle will go up also. it gets to where the rotary vane cant control the fuel delivery properly . dont worry though the ve pump will supply enough fuel to do a real good job burnning the pistons litterally out of your engine. YOUR ALOT BETTER OFF STICKING TO A CPL ENGINE CODE
IMO.
BOB

·
Registered
13 Posts
there was never a p-pump on the 4bt. not that it is really relevant but the inline on the 4b is an "a" not a p pump. not being a smart ass. just thought i would let you know. and besides reliabilitly it is capeable of a lot more than a ve if you are going all out. you can get a ve to push alot of fuel with the right mods. until you get extreme it is hard to justify the cost of the swap. I have seen a ve in a 6b make 500hp, just takes a little know how.

·
Registered
10 Posts
there was never a p-pump on the 4bt. not that it is really relevant but the inline on the 4b is an "a" not a p pump. not being a smart ass. just thought i would let you know. and besides reliability it is capable of a lot more than a ve if you are going all out. you can get a ve to push alot of fuel with the right mods. until you get extreme it is hard to justify the cost of the swap. I have seen a ve in a 6b make 500hp, just takes a little know how.
well just to let you know i have a p-7100 pumped 4bt all stock 130hp cpl#1839.
it is just like the one on eBay item #160089417899
i also have 2 "a" pumped 4bts also

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
The a pumps have 4 bolts on the timing cover and the VE has three. So you need to swap timing covers regardless even if you were to use the VE cam etc.. I am with Bob on this, not worth the effort IMO when a VE pump can/will work fine, I think.. For a race car though maybe the inline is better. Lou Chou one of the original swappers had a inline pump on his 4BT, and there is a FJ55 rock crawler out there called "big stinky" that hte owner had something like $10G into with an inline pump that was all juiced up and loud as all hell, much more so than stock because of the fuel levels at idle. Pretty sure the 7100 pumped inlines use the same torque plate etc as the '94 and on 12 valve dodges..

I also have a inline 4BT A pump lying around. We were considering swapping into a truck regardless to see how it does. Supposedly the throttle response mechanism of the a pumps can be detuned to give a more typically automotive feel, I have been told..

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
4bta did come with the P-7100 injection pump,I have one in my shop.
They use the same Gov springs,fuel plate,injectors as the 12v 94-98.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
13 Posts
I stand corrected. I had never seen one and just assumed everyone was calling it a p pump...You know what assume breaks down to. Slowly removing foot from mouth.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah I just got through drooling over one. P7100 pump with air to water. They are super hard to find. Ive been dealing with the VE's forever and know some guys pushing some serious numbers with them. I like em, the are readily available for us, cheaper, and they are found on light line stuff and ag stuff. Easy to work on too. Its a 4bt though, most of us are doing this conversion for fuel, efficiency and longevity, the VE will handle that anyday.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just to ad my $.02...The P pump, or the A pump, are almost required if you want to run alt. fuel; straight veg oil, etc. I've found they handle it much better.

·
Super Moderator
8,788 Posts
Do the cummins inline pumps have aneroids fitted?

I pulled the aneroid on my pump apart and found the diaphragm in it was shot. That'll account for the on/off torque surge I've been getting.

Easy check if you've got one, pull the line to the aneroid off the intake and blow down it. If it leaks it needs attention.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Just to ad my $.02...The P pump, or the A pump, are almost required if you want to run alt. fuel; straight veg oil, etc. I've found they handle it much better.
I would like to see more information about this, with evidence.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nah, buddy of mine has been running straight veggie and bio for years on the VE. Had to replace the lift pump once, but we all have to do that ever so often.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts