Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In effort to locate the air leak on fuel system I clamped return line right after overflow valve and manually pump few strokes on lift pump. The fuel pressure meter gone up quickly and then dropped like rock. It was relatively easy to see the leak. It is coming from the P Pump itself. It's visible but hard to reach. It is coming from the bottom of the pump where the arrow points. The fuel is NOT leaking from the port above it (unfortunately). There's no visible damage to the body of the pump. There's some king of bolt down on the bottom and it is leaking from it. The question is, what's there behind that bolt? If the power steering pump is removed to access that bolt and unscrew it - what's there? Will some kind of complicated spring loaded "something" fall off or shoot out? Is there some kind of O ring or seal that can be "simply" replaced without removing the pump or is there something else "broken"? If there's, does anybody know part number for that seal or O-ring? Does anybody have detail blow out picture of that part of the pump, to see what's inside? Is there some special tool needed to fix that leak? Thank you. Milan

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
395 Posts
Milan, we talked about this. There is no fuel internally in that portion of the pump. Fuel is only in the top section in green & oil is in all the rest of the whole inj pump. I know you said your fuel shop built your pump but I'm guessing when they rebuilt it, they missed the fact that the pump case itself has a crack & is broken. I can't remember if you have a A-pump or a P-pump but it doesn't matter.
The area that your red pointer is showing is only oil & that bore is only for the inj pump hold down bolt, to block/pump bracket.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mark, Thank you for your response. Yes I did ask you before. It's a mystery (to me anyway). Looks like I have to take the pump out to find out more. Posting this issue here - I was just hoping that somebody else may have same problem. As always, Mark, I'm grateful for your help and wisdom. Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts