Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this and basically need all the parts required to mate the 4bt to the nv4500
I have the 4bt (off of Frito lay truck, stock 4bt with 105 HP) and will pick up the transmission this weekend from a local salvage yard.
A list of all parts needed will be great.
I want to buy all the needed parts before I begin the teardown on my bronco.
Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add the NV4500 is off of a dodge diesel truck. I am not sure what year truck. Does that matter or is one set of years preffered?

I have looked at the stickys, but some of them go off on a tangent and its difficult to find the needed info.
Again please help so I can find the parts and begin my build.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I looked into this for some time myself. As far as I can tell if you have a diesel NV4500 you should have the correct input shaft and the correct bellhousing for connecting with the Cummins. the one thing you are going to need is the adapter that goes between the Cummins and the bellhousing. Wrecking yards have this part. Also you need the 6BT Flywheel. SO to sum it up you use all of the Dodge truck parts.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
You will need all the stuff from the block back,,,,adapter,flywheel,starter,clutch,bell housing,and master/slave from a 1994-2002 Dodge truck with a Cummins.:idea:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys,
looks like im about to become very familiar with all the local junk yards.
Again thanks for the info

·
Registered
20 Posts
SO.... what do you need to put a NV4500 out of a ford onto a 4bt? Also do they make adapter kits for a NP-205 transfer case to bolt right onto both of them? Are there differences in the adapters? What different np-205's are there and what are the easiest to bolt together (non divorced is what im lookin for) for a 4bt/nv4500/np205 combination?

Sorry man not trying to thread jack. I just have been looking everywhere for this info and i have came up with a few tidbits of info but need more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
well I guess it all really depends on the axles i plan to go with. GM or ford dana 60 or heck mabe even dodge axles....dunno. that will dictate which side I need the drop to be on. is there such thing as "easiest NV4500 and Np205" combination? or cheapest combination without the use of way overpriced adapter plates and whatnot?

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Did you search any of the stickies refering to any of your questions? Ford seems to have not had a factory installed nv4500,and there is a complete Dodge set up listed in the classifieds,and tons of info with a search.It really helps to put your plans down on paper,and get a direction FIRST,before you "back" into your project.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok I get the fact that the dodge nv4500 will be the easiest to go with. now the np 205 transfer case... are they all divorced and you have to buy a special adapter plate to bolt it directly to the back of the dodge nv4500?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am in the process of buying a rebuilt ZF for my Ford Bread van 4BT. However, I just ran across a good deal on the Dodge 29 spline gas NV4500 with AA's NV4500 / D20. I have a similar question as Bino9905. If I choose to go the Dodge 29 spline gas NV4500 route, what parts will I need to mate it to the cummins. (adapters?, Bellhousing?, Clutch?, Flywheel?) Currently my Cummins is still in the Ford bread van mated to BW's T-19. Any insight would be helpfull.

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
I am in the process of buying a rebuilt ZF for my Ford Bread van 4BT. However, I just ran across a good deal on the Dodge 29 spline gas NV4500 with AA's NV4500 / D20. I have a similar question as Bino9905. If I choose to go the Dodge 29 spline gas NV4500 route, what parts will I need to mate it to the cummins. (adapters?, Bellhousing?, Clutch?, Flywheel?) Currently my Cummins is still in the Ford bread van mated to BW's T-19. Any insight would be helpfull.

Thank you,
You may want to take the time to read the stickies,or use the search feature...the answers are there....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, I understand the nature of the forum....I have been lurking on this site for 16 months. As mentioned above I have my plan mapped out with the ZF and I am negotiating on the price of the ZF. Meanwhile, as the clock ticks... I have a (still in the box) James Duff 29 spline gas NV4500 with adapters available for a fraction of the cost. I have avoided asking questions on this forum because, I have seen countless individuals given the simple answer of, "do a search". However, because I do not have the experience with the NV. I decided to take a chance and ask a question. Maybe I have the wrong impression here but, it seems that there are several NV's (GM, Chevy, HD, ect...) and I want to make the right purchase. I am hoping that someone who has the experience or knows the answer would be willing to share or point me in the right direction for the answer. So, to be clear, here is my question again:

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Yes, I understand the nature of the forum....I have been lurking on this site for 16 months. As mentioned above I have my plan mapped out with the ZF and I am negotiating on the price of the ZF. Meanwhile, as the clock ticks... I have a (still in the box) James Duff 29 spline gas NV4500 with adapters available for a fraction of the cost. I have avoided asking questions on this forum because, I have seen countless individuals given the simple answer of, "do a search". However, because I do not have the experience with the NV. I decided to take a chance and ask a question. Maybe I have the wrong impression here but, it seems that there are several NV's (GM, Chevy, HD, ect...) and I want to make the right purchase. I am hoping that someone who has the experience or knows the answer would be willing to share or point me in the right direction for the answer. So, to be clear, here is my question again:

Okay,if you want to go Ford,then use Ford parts,if you want to use the Dodge Diesel nv4500,then use Dodge parts.....IE:Ford block adapter,and flywheel,and all associated parts,or---Dodge Block adapter,and flywheel,and all associated Dodge parts.Simple.....and its in the tech stickies as to what clutch,and pressure plate will work for what you decide to use....best I can offer you.....

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
SFD.. I'm almost in the same boat as you are .. But I have my 4BT in my 72 Bronco and it is running and driving .. Mine has the Ford stuff behind it with a NP435 & Dana 20. All that said I have what I think is all the Dodge stuff gathered up ..But I still like one part .. I've got the 6bt dodge adapter plate .. a 2001 Bell housing .. a 2001 flywheel and clutch & pressure plate . The dodge throwout fork and bearing . My trans NV4500 is out of a 2001 ''diesel'' I was told that the trans needed to be for the diesel .. I don't know if I have a slave cyl but that's the easy part to find. NOW I DON'T HAVE an Adapter to go between the trans and the transfer dana 20.
........With out running a search do I have the correct trans or do I need a gas front shaft.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well, I'm just going to have to be the bad guy here, and tell you that you need to search. You might start by reading this thread. You just said that your question is the same as Bino's. Don't you think the answer to you is the same as the answer he was given.

Quit "lurking", and start reading, searching, and studying. I would also point out that this is far from the only source of information on NV4500 swaps. There are hundreds of threads on dozens of forums, among other sites, that go into the issue of adapting the transmission to any number of t-cases, but the NP205 is way up on the list.
http://www.google.com/search?q=nv4500+np205&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1440&bih=706&prmd=ivnsfd&ei=d98OTZrDIcaGnAev2KScDg&start=0&sa=N

Welcome to the forum, but please don't insult us. It is simply beyond comprehension, how you could type this in post 12,

I have a similar question as Bino9905. If I choose to go the Dodge 29 spline gas NV4500 route, what parts will I need to mate it to the cummins. (adapters?, Bellhousing?, Clutch?, Flywheel?)

When this was in post 4

You will need all the stuff from the block back,,,,adapter,flywheel,starter,clutch,bell housing,and master/slave from a 1994-2002 Dodge truck with a Cummins.

and then expect someone to spend the time answering your question. Seriously? You have done an outstanding job of demonstrating how earnest you are, and how much time you have spent researching. You didn't even bother to read the thread that you hijacked.

·
Registered
75 Posts
2 Dodges, Papitt, Dahoyle, & Bino9905

I truly am sorry if I have insulted you. That was not my intention at all. I really appreciate this forum and the collective knowledge it contains. In the future: I will work on my forum etiquette. I will be more specific when asking questions. I will also be more careful where I post the questions. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
SFD

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
A Dodge 29 spline NV4500 transmission for a gasser is a Dodge diesel transmission with the input shaft swapped out to the smaller gasser input for use with the smaller clutch disk. This is exactly the reverse of what everybody on the forum usually does. The normal NV4500 gasser version had a 23 spline output.

Reference: A/A NV4500 transmission installation guide.

EDIT: V10's used the diesel NV4500

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
2 Dodges, Papitt, Dahoyle, & Bino9905

I truly am sorry if I have insulted you. That was not my intention at all. I really appreciate this forum and the collective knowledge it contains. In the future: I will work on my forum etiquette. I will be more specific when asking questions. I will also be more careful where I post the questions. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
SFD
Didn't insult me.....the answer was in front of you....and there is a great deal of info in the stickies about the clutch/pressure plate selection,it depends on what you want to do,all dodge is the easiest,and most available........I'm just a grouchy old f*rt!!!! Merry Christmas!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts