Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all new here long time diesel nut,

questions are

1. whats the max power rating that are reliable?
2. are there easy upgrades just like the mechanical 6 cummins as like injectors fuel plate etc?
3. Even built will they still get better mileage than the 6 cycl cummins?

I want to put a cummins in my 86 f350, and want to know what the max power i could get out of one reliably is

check my other threads

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Welcome

May I suggest you do some searching in old threads, and maybe give the search button a good workover? There's miles of info stashed in this forum and many of your questions are already answered at length.

In general anything that works on a 6BT works about the same on a 4BT, except that compressor sizing may be slightly different.

Max reliable power ratings depends on how you drive it more than anything else. It's not hard to double the stock power output, but a diesel has a different kind of power from a gasser. That is, the off-idle torque at low engine speeds is huge compared to a gasoline engine. Stock 105 hp sounds pretty puny, but it's at least equivalent to a healthy smallblock V8 gasser, and stronger in some ways! Also, you can blow up anything if you try hard enough.

Because of how a diesel engine works the 'performance mods' themselves hardly effect mileage. What's different is when you've got your foot in it all the time to take advantage of the new power! Drive it easy-easy and even a pretty hot engine gets the same or better mileage after hopups.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
hey all new here long time diesel nut,

questions are

1. whats the max power rating that are reliable?
2. are there easy upgrades just like the mechanical 6 cummins as like injectors fuel plate etc?
3. Even built will they still get better mileage than the 6 cycl cummins?

I want to put a cummins in my 86 f350, and want to know what the max power i could get out of one reliably is

check my other threads
1.200 to 250 hp and will still have a long engine life ,will also depend on engine before the increase.
2.VE pumps ,fuel screws,gov spring ,timing .P7100 fuel plate ,fuel ,gov springs ,timing.
3.In stock form 20's ,depends on what gears , transmission ,tires , weight of truck , what has been down and how you drive it.

Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts