Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so what are the benefits of a 6BT over a 4BT? I have the 1 ton axles so the weight isn't a factor but what should I be looking at in terms of power output, one vs. the other (in stock form)? Also, what is the weight difference between the two? I have a Jeep Wagoneer so I'm not too worried about an offset weight ration like most trucks have problems with. Also, does anyone know of any owner-sites or anyone I can personally converse with that has swapped in a 6BT into a SJ? I know the front clearance will be minimal and almost certainly need an e-fan, but other than that...? Ok, I'm done rambling.

Thanks in advance guys/girls!

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
The initial cost of a 6BT can be less than that of a 4BT. Look up the production figures for the 89 - 93 Dodges with the Cummins. A donor truck can sometimes be bought for the initial price of a bare 4BT take out engine. Here in the northeast road salt has been taking its toll over the last 17+ years. It's possible to find one of these trucks in places like the free ads or other grocery store advertisers at bargain prices. You won't find many bargains on the internet though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The initial cost of a 6BT can be less than that of a 4BT. Look up the production figures for the 89 - 93 Dodges with the Cummins. A donor truck can sometimes be bought for the initial price of a bare 4BT take out engine. Here in the northeast road salt has been taking its toll over the last 17+ years. It's possible to find one of these trucks in places like the free ads or other grocery store advertisers at bargain prices. You won't find many bargains on the internet though.
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. I think I know someone that has a early 90s 2500 that's rotting out as we type! Seeing your experience with the 6BT (from looking at your sig), is there any benefits from one year to the next? As in - did they modify the engines better or worse during those years that would steer myself one direction or another?

Edit: Oh, also - I know, stupid question, but is there a life expectancy difference between the 4 and 6s (with normal useage).

·
Registered
137 Posts
You are going to have a very hard time wedging the long 6bt into a Wagoneer. Same issue comes with M715's, except with a 715 you can hack the firewall.

When it warms up here I'll try to mock that up and get some measurements. My 6 is going into a GM truck but the 715 is parked next to it. :)

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. I think I know someone that has a early 90s 2500 that's rotting out as we type! Seeing your experience with the 6BT (from looking at your sig), is there any benefits from one year to the next? As in - did they modify the engines better or worse during those years that would steer myself one direction or another?

Edit: Oh, also - I know, stupid question, but is there a life expectancy difference between the 4 and 6s (with normal useage).
The 89-mid 91's came without an intercooler. These were subject to cyl head cracking in the injector area. The mid 91-93's used a different improved head
and intercooler which helped the problem. You can use the earlier version if you don't have room for the intercooler which is a slight plus.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
could have sword I've seen a pic of a 6BT in a wagoneer though, for what its worth...

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
bingo :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts