Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Perkins 236, i need input

25K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  carlossl89 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 69 F250 with a 236 perkins but before i do, i would like to hear what you guys have to say about the motor.

#2 ·
We had one in a Massey Ferguson 275 tractor. Actually it may have been the perkins 248, I'm not sure. But the two are really similar. Regardless, it was a good tough engine. They're pretty robust and reliable, and very similar to the 4BT Cummins engines, they were just around a decade or so earlier. And also, I think they're all liner type engines.

What did the swapper do for a transmission, and is it turbo??

#7 ·
It's a 1998 T4.236 that came off a gen set.

16.1 compression, turbocharged,non intercooled, stanadyne rotory pump.
Weighs about 1000lbs.
I'm running a 700r4 automatic trans that I can lock the convertor with a switch on the dash.
Mpgs are about 30 on the highway, with 3.25 rear gears.

I will see if I can get my buddy to put some pictures up for you today.

#9 ·
4.236 AND the 4.248 (easy visual ID difference is the 248 has 4 nuts down center of the valve cover VS 236 around the perimeter) are awesome, simple to service, replaceable Chrome Liners, readily serviced CAV Fuel System.
Only long term shortcoming is, with the Turbo on long run highway use, it needs bottom side of piston oil cooler spray jets like on the newer 1004.4 Phaser series. NOT a 100% MUST but gives longer life.
Great Engines.
Terry

#12 · (Edited)
Heads up on the Longevity of a Perkins.
Super Steel Treating in Warren, Michigan set a Perkins Record in 1980 with a 4.236 (non-Turbo) in an 1976 H-110 Hyster Forklift, Over 24,000 hours on it without a misguided FART.
The USDOT and EPA have been using 45mph - per every hour an engine is in Off Road Industrial use. Therefore this little workhorse ran over 1,080,000 miles, started every morning and worked 2 shifts on a 24-6-51 week schedule.
Perkins of Farmington Hills Michigan went through it, just for Research data, and found it still at minimals for compression, bearing and bore wear.
They ARE good engines as long as they get normal MX.
Terry

#15 ·
I have a Perkins 4-236 in my 46' sailboat, that I have had 30 years. The first one had 11,000 hours, was running great, but using 1 qt. of oil eacch 12 hours. In 1987, I replaced it with a new 4-236. It now has 3,600 hours and runs like new with no oil use between changes.
They are very good engines.
Tom

#16 ·
i'm currently in south america, and back here it's not hard to find some chevy trucks that were fitted with the 4-236 for latin-american markets still running fine with engines between 30 to 40 years old (usually with no more than one engine overhaul, but the same old blocks)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.