Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today i picked up my 4bt it is so clean check it out let me know what you think i got it for 1950

·
Registered
126 Posts
Boy that is cleaned up real good. :beer:

Mine was pretty clean as well but it a slight film was on it, cost me
$1500, and just under 100,000 mi. Came from a longtime mechanic
at Frito-Lay. After looking on E-Bay that price is great (both of us).

You've got the tilted manifold which will get you a little more firewall clearance. Most likely the vac pump and pulley are coming off, right?

Any idea on miles, compression numbers, or did you hear it run by chance?

I got that little cart as well, turns out I am using it quite bit as I ready
the motor.

Congrats! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boy that is cleaned up real good. :beer:

Mine was pretty clean as well but it a slight film was on it, cost me
$1500, and just under 100,000 mi. Came from a longtime mechanic
at Frito-Lay. After looking on E-Bay that price is great (both of us).

You've got the tilted manifold which will get you a little more firewall clearance. Most likely the vac pump and pulley are coming off, right?

Any idea on miles, compression numbers, or did you hear it run by chance?

I got that little cart as well, turns out I am using it quite bit as I ready
the motor.

Congrats! :grinpimp:
going to take off what ever you guys say will give it more power:grinpimp:
it does run and came with a gaurentee has low miles around 75000 or so

·
Registered
126 Posts
Only 75k, :nuke: What a score! I just got an email from a guy who clocked
over 1 million miles on one- that's CRaZy!!

"yours ain't even broke in yet..."

You might consider an intercooler for some power. Also, exploit the high
off-idle torque by paying a lot of attention to your driveline. I'm planning
out an 8-speed automatic (in 2WD) for hilly driving combined with long runs on flat. I have a deep Low and very high OD. I'm after smooth, steady acceleration and want to run the motor close to max torque (1800 rpm).
My shift points will take some dialing but will reflect this design intent.

Once you know your parameters, you can start to design your driveline. I feel this is VERY important with a diesel of this type. It is actually a very ingeniously-planned machine, so be careful about making horsepower when what you've just bought is a little TORQUE monster:grinpimp: ready for you to take advantage. Plus, you can get INSANE fuel mileage with one of these if it is geared correctly.

:idea: Gearing...:idea:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where'd you find that?! I ned a deal like that!!!

Matt

there out there i called every auto/truck dismantler in a 200 mile readius of my house and this is the only one there was its perfect because it came out of a ford and a zf will bolt up right to it now i am just looking for the zf for a reasonable price the shop had it but wanted 800 for it i am currently going on a vacation and wont get to play with the engine for a month or so.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Good deal

That seems like a good deal. If you get a chance, post up some compression numbers.
Clean is nice but it also doesn't tell you if it has or hasn't been leaking.. It shouldn't be leaking much at 75K.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Hell of a deal.. Also has some neat stuff on it that is worth something and can be hard/annoying to find... The vertical oil filter, the tilt low slung manifold, the v belt pulley with a vaccuum pump.. It's almost like a Ford with a Chevy adapter on it.. Looks good! A

Edit I'm an idiot, it is a Ford adapter...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you have issues with that driver side oil fill spot like motor mounts etc, put an oil fill valve cover on it, the valve cover, cap and gasket are about $25 new. The Dodge truck motor mounts cover that oil fill spot.

·
Registered
384 Posts
there out there i called every auto/truck dismantler in a 200 mile readius of my house and this is the only one there was its perfect because it came out of a ford and a zf will bolt up right to it now i am just looking for the zf for a reasonable price the shop had it but wanted 800 for it i am currently going on a vacation and wont get to play with the engine for a month or so.
That is agreat idea I never thought of, what are auto/truck dismantlers known as in the phone book under the yellow pages ? so i can call around my place ? :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts