Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,here goes.Sick of gas motor.Purchase non intercooled 91 3500 with getrag 5 spd.Runs great,leaks at the fuel shutoff solenoid.No biggie.Go to fit this in my old Jeep,kinda looks too big.Went and purchased 97 4bta with a turbo whatever on the back.Runs perfect.This motor needs to push a very heavy,5:88 ratioed 67OO lb 4wd down the road at least 55 mph.So, the 1:1 in the turbo whatever wont work,so go with the Getrag.Will my 6bt flywheel work on the 4 bta?I am more confused now after reading the turbo section.I have a brand new turbo on the non intercooled 6,does it need to go on the 4?The 4 bta is the 120 hp version.Whats it take to get 140-45 hp?Piles of parts.What works best?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
plus....

Does anyone know what pto fits the getrag?I dont want to give up my winch.Also forgot to mention,I have a new air to air intercooler in that pile of parts.Hate to ask all the questions,but diesel is new to me.

·
Registered
800 Posts
i think you will need alot of money.

its going to cost alot to spin a 4bt up to run a 1 ton truck.

what size tires?

since i did not know, and you have 5.88 gears, i assume you have 38~40" tires?

max fuel efficiency cruise speed 40 to 45

2500 MAX rpm gives you a top speed of 60 to 65

3200 GOV springs gives you a THEORETICAL top speed of 75 to 85, but no way since tq peaks at 1700 or so.

id regear the axles, run it with the mindset it sure wont tow like a 1 ton....

D

·
0 Posts
i think you will need alot of money.

its going to cost alot to spin a 4bt up to run a 1 ton truck.

what size tires?

since i did not know, and you have 5.88 gears, i assume you have 38~40" tires?

max fuel efficiency cruise speed 40 to 45

2500 MAX rpm gives you a top speed of 60 to 65

3200 GOV springs gives you a THEORETICAL top speed of 75 to 85, but no way since tq peaks at 1700 or so.

id regear the axles, run it with the mindset it sure wont tow like a 1 ton....
The 4bt comes out of a van that weighs over 7000 lbs and a gvw of 10000 lbs. I have driven them loaded and they get up to highway speed fine. You won't have any problem getting up to 55. With 4.10s and 32 inch tall tires and a 1:1 transmission, a 7000lb truck will hit 60mph with a non lockup converter. The getrag has a .77:1 overdrive, so that'll be even better, but speed will obviously depend on your tire size. You can leave everything stock, and you will have decent power, but you should be able to get 140hp just by turning up the pump and adding your air to air intercooler. Even if you're running at 2400-2500rpm at 55mph, you'll still be getting 18-20 mpg. Just make sure you get an egt gauge and keep an eye on it, it's very important, especially after you adjust the injection pump.

D

·
0 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad....he'll be at 2200 rpm at 55 and have a top speed of 65 or so. That stock 4bta will do the job

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
parts pile growing

Well,it breaks down like this.I hate to infect my fleet with any more possible MOPAR viruses,but I bought a 74 D 300 for the diffs.Got a matching set of Dana 60s with 4:56s. So,4bta,Getrag 5 spd,new set of 38 inch tires on spring under diffs with 4:56s.Todays project is to locate a continuous duty pump,as I am going to seperate the aftercooler from the engine coolant.My 715 doesnt really have the room at the core support for my air to air coooler.After some research,it appears that the aftercooler on the 4bt is designed more to keep the intake charge consistent,not so much cooler.I will scrounge the boneyards today and see what I can find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M715 Christmas tree ornaments

Body man has started re assembly already.Looky at the 4bta left under the tree!Hmmm...kicking several of my old cars out of the garage to work on a 40 yr old truck..........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts