Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about the nozzles that shoot oil up to cool the underside of the piston.

One thing I have heard is they occasionally break off. The other is from a technical service bulletin put out by Dodge that says they occasionally get plugged. This has caused dodge to state that Fram oil filters would void the warranty if used on Dodge Cummins engines. (Fram says they fixed the problem, but still....)

Is this something we should pull the pan to check for, from time to time? I would hate to ruin a piston due to a broken or plugged nozzle.

I don't do a lot of towing, but when I do it is truck (5500 lbs) plus trailer (8000 lbs) for a total of about 13.5K lbs. Most of my driving is empty.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/09-004-01.htm

From TSB 09-0004=01:
RECOMMENDED OIL FILTERS FOR USE WITH CUMMINS 5.9L DIESEL ENGINE:
Part Number Manufacturer
05016547AC Mopar
LF3894 Fleetguard Stratopore
LF3552 Fleetguard Microglass
LF3949 Fleetguard Cellulose
3937695 Cummins Cellulose
FL896 MotorCraft Cellulose
L45335 Purolator Cellulose
PF1070 AC Delco Cellulose

·
Registered
335 Posts
On Brians (a buddy) first dyno pull his 03 dodge started puking oil out the blow tube by the gallon, and after tearin into it it was discovered that one of the oilers was broken causing that piston to take a dump.....since then I stand way back when im next to a dyno pull...LOL ;) He might have had 30,000 on th truck, and all the oil changes were by the dealership. Just my dealings with this ....

·
Registered
43 Posts
you will know when they break off or plug your engine will hammer under acceration happened to me i pulled the engine and tore it down and found a broken piston cooler:nuke:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you will know when they break off or plug your engine will hammer under acceration happened to me i pulled the engine and tore it down and found a broken piston cooler:nuke:
Did it need to be bored/sleeved?

·
Registered
43 Posts
more people have this problem then they realize untill they produce more heat on their piston like i did messing with that darn pump and bigger injectors and on top of that 38-40 psi of boost lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts