Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But.... But...

What if I want to blend Diesel into a Methanol system?? :D

Methanol sure isn't getting any cheaper!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Has methanol gone up too? Stupid question no doubt. Last time I checked, a couple of years ago, it was like $3 gallon at a dealer that handled large quantities. Figuring what, 10%-20%, mix with water injection it seemed a wise & cheap alternative for more power. Not so economical anymore?

·
'69 FJ55 Land Cruiser
1,660 Posts
But.... But...

What if I want to blend Diesel into a Methanol system?? :D

Methanol sure isn't getting any cheaper!
wow, hot damn Don!

·
'69 FJ55 Land Cruiser
1,660 Posts
Around here Methanol is pretty reasonable again. I paid $138 for a 55 gallon drum maybe two months ago? Much better than the $220 it was...

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't get too excited... She's not mine. But I'm crew dog, tugboat, and otherwise the "guy in the water" for her.

The quarter mile in 6.08 seconds with a trap speed of 196MPH back in the day. Brakes? What are these brake things you keep mentioning?

Not economical to put the capsule, etc. that it would require to put it on the race circuit, so we just sneak out and wake the dead every now and again. Somehow, I don't think it passes the 86dB TWRA rules.

I keep trying to get the owner to re-name it from Pandemonium to Meth Addict, but he thinks that might have negative connotations for some reason.. :eek:

Bad thing is, we've not had a chance to take it out for about 2 years now. Last time we bought it, in any quantity short of truckload, Methanol was running right at $4.50 a gallon. And, when she sucks down about 7 gallons in 7 seconds at full bark, that gets to be a weee bit expensive for a couple of working stiffs.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Wooopppsss, I'm embarrassed now! I'm on dialup so lots of times I don't click on pics, just read text. NOW I looked at the pics hah! Nice pickle!!!

I thought it was a beginning thread and mentioning water/meth injection.....

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wooopppsss, I'm embarrassed now! I'm on dialup so lots of times I don't click on pics, just read text. NOW I looked at the pics hah! Nice pickle!!!

I thought it was a beginning thread and mentioning water/meth injection.....
I guess it is, in a way: It runs on the water and has Methanol injection! Fun to watch the blower ice up..

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I used to live around Sacramento, where there is Folsom Lake, and just below its dam is Nimbus Lake. Nimbus is famed for its calm waters because it sits down in a protected pocket canyon.

Happened by one day [hah, about 30 years ago!] and parked above at the overlook and heard noise. Got to where I could see and found they were having boat drags!

Watched the last run, a hydro with a single blown Chrysler Hemi up against a twin engine with dual 327's. They went off and the Chrysler turned 167.67, nothin' in the water but the prop, a new record at the time. The Chevy guys were still looking for the paddles & could hardly get the thing up to plane, let alone prop walking.

Well, maybe I exagerrate. Anyways far more impressive than car drags!!! 10 times the action, rooster tails 50 feet in the air, boats prop-walking & skittering like a drop of water in a hot skillet and the deafening roar echoing up the canyon walls to my vantage point, WOW!!! and the smell of fried nitro & methane wafting up off the water just made my day to perfection....

Unlimited Hydros are lotsa fun too :)

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 10 of 10 Posts