Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2002 regular cab, 2WD, automatic Ford Ranger and I want to get rid of the 3.0L V6 and drop a 4bt Cummins into it. I have a general idea of what I need to do but I don't know any of the specifics. Could anyone please give me specifics on things I will need, cost, etc. I need to know what needs to be done as far as motor mounts, suspension, rear end, gearing, etc. I want to put a manual transmission into it...is it possible to put a 6 speed on it or should I stick with a 5-speed NV4500? I'm open to any recommendations. I want to keep my air conditioning. Also, what is a good size exhaust for this engine? 4 inch? I live in california so I need to have a catalytic converter and a muffler to stay legal. This will be my everyday driver. Any advice and help is greatly appreciated. Thank you! I am looking forward to starting this build soon!

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Budget $15,000 and lots of time modifying sheetmetal to get that big of a manual trans into that ranger. Be better with a 47rh or 4r100 or 4l80 auto and 3.0:1 rear gears since your ranger wont have tall tires. Need stronger coils in the front. Probably going to need a commonrail 4bt too, seeing as how your truck is so new, the older 4bts wont be legal in that new of a truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
khaoskustoms,

Thank you for your reply. I have a few more questions now that you mention the transmission and newer engine. I have seen a video on youtube of a 2wd regular cab ranger that is stock height with the NV4500. Does that mean that he modified the floor in the truck to fit the tranny? Also, is the 4r100 or 47rh a manual tranny or are they autos? I really want to have a manual transmission. I have seen some threads that say the build costs around $8,000. Is the $15,000 budget because of the need for a 4btA instead of an older 4bt? Or are those threads just showing lowball numbers? Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I found a new 4btaa on ebay for $5,000. Is that a reasonable price? It has all new parts with a 6 month parts warranty and does not require a core return. Will the 4btaa even fit correctly in my '02 Ranger?

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
For emissions you need an engine that was manufactured at the same time or at a newer date then your vehicle. Look through the build threads here, you should find a few ranger builds. So with you $8000 budget, you just spent $5000 on an engine. How much is the trans? What about the adapter plate, flywheel, clutch, driveshaft mods, rear gearing changes, suspension mods, motor mounts, fuel system, cooling system, a/c system, power steering, etc etc etc. A repower is always more complex then just dropping in a different engine and hooking up to your existing systems. Do your research and your questions will be answered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts