Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, heres my dilemma:
I have a friend that is going to give me a bread van with a 4bt in it for free! problem is the motor doesn't run(reason unknown other than head is missing). So with unknown engine condition and no head. I was thinking of taking the whole setup and scrapping the van for some $$ and using that money to help fund a engine overhaul. How does this sound to you? I don't know what all is involved in rebuilding one of these (do they have cylinder sleeves?). And what kit could i buy? and what head to buy?
Basically I'm looking to find out how much money I'm looking spend rebuilding it, assuming i can do most of it myself.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
can get pictures in a couple weeks. I'm about 3 hours away and in exam week, so not sure what type 4bt(not having seen it in 3 months) or anything like that right this moment.

·
Registered
854 Posts
B series cummins engines don't use sleeves. Hopefully the bore has nothing more than very light surface rust.

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
I personally think it would be a bad investment strictly as a rebuildable core. My first thought is why would somebody pull the head off a good engine? Then there is the parts piece meal game you are going to run into. You need to find and get prices on at least a head, 4 rocker arm shafts, 4 intake rocker arms, 4 exhaust rocker arms, 4 intake valves, 4 exhaust valves, 8 valve springs and retainers, probably 8 push rods, 4 valve covers, intake manifold cover, also if missing: the exhaust manifold, turbo, all related bolts and fasteners. Buying that lot will probably cost as much as or more than the scrap value of the van. Then what do you do if you tear the engine down and you find out it need a crankshaft? If you want it for possible spare parts such as the engine adapter or the injection pump then go for it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Bobs,
You make a good point, but since the truck is for free....i think its plenty worth taking for the aluminum and trying to find out what the motors worth, wouldn't you say. And i know that they sell heads on eBay, does that head include 4 rocker arm shafts, 4 intake rocker arms, 4 exhaust rocker arms, 4 intake valves, 4 exhaust valves, 8 valve springs and retainer because i don't know what all the "complete cylinder head" includes having not called yet? something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4BT-...007QQitemZ170158450091QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully the bore has nothing more than very light surface rust.
From what i remember, i think the only rust is on the machined surface of the block and maybe on the pistons.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Way to much money to try to rebuild ,plus you have the time and machine work.

Better to start off with a complete engine.

The heads on ebay if new or reman are just the head.
Free Free ,I would take it just for the body

Scott

·
Registered
854 Posts
Free Free ,I would take it just for the body
I would be interested in the shortblock as a spare rebuilder for sometime in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts