Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting editorial article in JP magazine p.6 October 07.
Talks about the possibility of a Cummins 2.8L or 3.8L CRD in a Wrangler in 2009.
I know it is a magazine article so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'll take a Wrangler Unlimited w/ diesel and third row seating please. Those are the 2 currently unavailable features I want in a Wrangler.

Ken

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cappa has been going on about a diesel Wrangler for ages now. I'll believe it when I see it.
And when do do see I have a feeling it will be too over priced of an option to make it worth while.

·
Registered
77 Posts
dont know why they'd look to cummins when they already have the merc common rail v-6 in a couple of the jeeps.

·
Registered
157 Posts
dont know why they'd look to cummins when they already have the merc common rail v-6 in a couple of the jeeps.
If the new Cummins light duty engine was available today...they may not have placed the Mercedes in them... The word is it will happen in 2010...

·
Registered
500 Posts
If the new Cummins light duty engine was available today...they may not have placed the Mercedes in them... The word is it will happen in 2010...
It's just like the diesel suburban rumors that have been around since 2000 - I'll believe it when I see it.

I'd love to see that 16 valve 4.5L cummins in a FS SUV or 1/2 ton pickup.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Daimler-chrysler just sold chrysler not sure if mercedes engines will be available for chrysler products.It' officially now just Daimler.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I hope the SRT line doesn't die off, I still want a SRT 8 Charger, HE HE:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll take a Wrangler Unlimited w/ diesel and third row seating please. Those are the 2 currently unavailable features I want in a Wrangler.

Ken

3rd row seating in a Wrangler??? the 4 door Wrangler is already too dam big... you need to haul that many people in your Jeep??? buy a frigen van or a school bus

·
Registered
397 Posts
3rd row seating in a Wrangler??? the 4 door Wrangler is already too dam big... you need to haul that many people in your Jeep??? buy a frigen van or a school bus
Hmm, let's see. There's me, my wife, my 8 year-old son, my 5-year old son and my 2 year old twin daughters. Math may not be a particular strong point of mine but if I'm correct that adds up to SIX people. Now maybe it's just me but it seems damn stupid to purchase a family vehicle that can't accomodate my family inside it! We already have a CJ that we can't use as a family, why would I buy another?

But thank you for your well thought out and articulated response to my entirely unreasonable comment about wishing to be able to transport my family in a vehicle that's not the size of a "frigen van" and that might get better than 20 mpg.

Ken

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have to admit that I don't like the direction the Wrangler has gone. Because of people who want to fit an entire family in a vehicle that was meant for a specific purpose- in this case, a small, light weight vehicle that is nimble in tight places, we end up with a big, 4-door vehicle that is wider and lower than any previous Jeep. No offense to the family people, I'm just saying that there are already family-sized vehicles out there...why ruin a good vehicle? Buy a Durango, Explorer, etc. They are nearly as off-road worthy as a stretched 4-door Wrangler. This isn't even getting into the piece of crap mini-van V-6 that replaced the 4.0 in the name of economy. If you want economy, buy a car or get a diesel.

In a perfect world, I would love a 1st gen. Rubicon Unlimited with a diesel. Just enough wheelbase to handle some lift and be very stable in the rocks, and the perfect engine for off road torque and on-road economy.

Jim

·
Registered
397 Posts
...I'm just saying that there are already family-sized vehicles out there...why ruin a good vehicle?...
Where are we family people taking away the smaller vehicles from everyone else? I just checked the Jeep website and the first page for Wranglers was of a 2-door Rubicon model listed as a 2008 model year. How did the 4-door model ruin the 2-door model?

Ken

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd call it more likely to see the liberty engine in it. Manufacturers dont usually switch around so much with engines. People have been talking for years about a cummins in fords and a mercedes in dodge trucks. But who knows? Jeep and chrysler do cross polinate quite a bit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
re.3rd row

Hmm, let's see. There's me, my wife, my 8 year-old son, my 5-year old son and my 2 year old twin daughters. Math may not be a particular strong point of mine but if I'm correct that adds up to SIX people. Now maybe it's just me but it seems damn stupid to purchase a family vehicle that can't accomodate my family inside it! We already have a CJ that we can't use as a family, why would I buy another?

But thank you for your well thought out and articulated response to my entirely unreasonable comment about wishing to be able to transport my family in a vehicle that's not the size of a "frigen van" and that might get better than 20 mpg.

Ken

Well, the 3rd row part is easy!!

Now the CRD..look for a cummins 2.8l around 2010..rumored 338 Ft lbs torque

Jason

·
Registered
275 Posts
there is a new england magazine called "Low Range" that did a review on one. They drove one over in the UK. According to them it's all ready to go on the market over there. bounce

Interesting that the J8 is going to a leaf spring in the rear.

·
Registered
169 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts