Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put a 4bt in an 1986 w150 power wagon. It's lifted and had the springs reinforced already, just looking to drop the 360 out and throw in a 4bt. Does anyone know of a thread where someone has done this to a truck of similar year/model?

I'm looking to see what it would take (in terms of price and man-hours) approximated of course.

Also, wondering if the stock transmission that came in the '86 dodges would hold up to the torque of the 4bt (rebuilt transmission & transfer case) so I wouldn't have to buy a new one. If not, what is a recommended tranny/transfer case combo to bolt onto it (YES, I have looked at the sticky thread about tranny's but can't make heads or tails of it)

I've heard the engines tear up dana44's... so if anyone has any thoughts on keeping it or just going with a dana60 or something similar, your opinion is welcome.

when I get a chance, I'll try to post some pics of it so it gives those looking a better idea of what I'm working with.

Any other comments/opinions are welcome!

Gig'em,

D0pple

·
Registered
39 Posts
The tearing up of 44s isn't true. There are guys on here still running the Dana 30, 35, and AMC 20 in their jeeps. That much I do know and figured I would put my $00.02 in for that much. The full size guys on here will be able to point you to a thread I'm sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. I've heard it both ways (they break/they hold up fairly well) and wasn't quite sure.

jeepN YJ, i like your sig!!! haha

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lol thank you sir. Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
You may want to consider purchasing a first generation Dodge truck ,one that already has the Cummins set up,look for one blown up,or worn out,and swap all the diesel stuff over to your 4bt project.That way,you will have everything needed,and strong enough for your needs.There are some listed on the classifieds here on this forum.You will have a heavy duty set of axles,proper size radiator,charging system,and all the mounts that you need for your 86 power wagon.Most of the early Dodge parts wil easily interchange from year to year,up to the 93,after that there was a major change in body style,and the transmissions,and transfer cases .Good luck with your swap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would it be plausible to buy say an 89-93 w250/350 and just throw the body of the 86 on it? But that would defeat my lift and 33s w/ Dana 44s already on the 86. Lots to consider. I'll look in the classifieds but would prefer to purchase something that's near me(to avoid shipping). I check craigslist regularly for such things but haven't really had any luck.

Anyone know the stock tranny that went into the old dodges?
Thanks guys!!

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Would it be plausible to buy say an 89-93 w250/350 and just throw the body of the 86 on it? But that would defeat my lift and 33s w/ Dana 44s already on the 86. Lots to consider. I'll look in the classifieds but would prefer to purchase something that's near me(to avoid shipping). I check craigslist regularly for such things but haven't really had any luck.

Anyone know the stock tranny that went into the old dodges?
Thanks guys!!
Dana 44's + 33 inch tires under a truck that weighs close to 3 tons empty will not take very much abuse especially with a Cummins engine making over 400 ft/lbs of torque.
Dana 44's hold up better under light weight vehicles like Jeeps.
The body swap will work as there were only minor changes in the Dodge frames from 82 - 93.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I agree with bob, the 44 is a good diff, would probably work fine for a daily driver, but if you offroad or start towing with it, it might not hold up so well. Your trany is a Torqueflite 727, but it's for a gas engine, so the bellhousing is smaller then a diesel 727 because of the difference in size of the torqueconverters between the two. Your best bet will be to find a 89-93 Dodge Cummins, a rollover, blown engine, rust bucket, anything really as long as the trany, t-case, and adapter plate are present. You can swap the 3/4 ton diffs into your 1/2 ton. No need to change springs or anything. Just need to get new wheels and tires cause I don't think you can fit 15" wheels on the 3/4ton axles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a converter for the bell housing? Or would it be easier to strip an old dead tranny and throw the rebuilt stuff from mine into the other?
I've looked everywhere for trashed 1st gens in my area. So hard to find with a reasonable price!
Would it be better to drop a first gen 6bt in instead of 4bt (so I don't have to move motor mounts? What's the weight difference between the two engines?

·
Registered
39 Posts
You could always upgrade to chromoly axle shafts.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
so, doppleganger, were you looking for those $125 engines thinking about this truck??? i must confess i would like to have a ram 1500 with one of those, but in the u.s. would be a sin to use a diesel not from cummins or detroit into a dodge ram.........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, i was thinking about putting a mercedes in a RAM, turns out I didn't buy the truck... and yes, it would be a sin to put a mercedes in a dodge. BUT, if the engines run and the price is right then carpe diem. SIEZE IT!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Yes, i was thinking about putting a mercedes in a RAM, turns out I didn't buy the truck... and yes, it would be a sin to put a mercedes in a dodge. BUT, if the engines run and the price is right then carpe diem. SIEZE IT!
too bad you didn't buy the truck... about mercedes into dodges: i've already seen a '95 ram 4500 with a mercedes 6cyl om352 and an aftermarket turbo kit in manaus some years ago, it was originally fitted with that gasser v10... i must confess i could consider to use a mercedes here in south america but as i said before if you, an american guy in the u.s. did it, you would have been stamping your passport to hell...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts