Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In diesel power mag a year or so ago they had some proven power cobinations which includes chips, injectors, and intakes to get great power. I laways love to read TDR revies of turbos and of course I am curios what people are doing to make horse power. I am still working on putting my 4bt into my Scout, but when it is done I plan on playing a bit with it. Intake yes, injectors yes(which ones), exhaust 3inch or 4, and ve pump mods. Anybody out there with a good recipe? Crew Cab what are you doing to make 250hp reliably? Forrest Nerring, I loved your post about the 12 valves, do you have a 4bt recipe?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Well,

The 250 hp.

Injectors 50hp
fuel pin 40hp
turbo HX35 ( rated to 350hp ) or you have a S200 .
Advance timing 15 to 16 *
pump adjustments
Cam & lifters
air intake
exhaust
Gov spring
valve springs

Now think about 500 hp

14mm head bolts
Copper head gasket
rod bolts
main studs
block girdle
fuel lines
191 DV
injectors
cam
intake
head mods
twin's turbo's
exhaust
air intake
5k GSK
valve springs
ect

Scott

·
Registered
168 Posts
Better question would be how long it lasts at 500hp.

·
Vendor
2,697 Posts
Wait and see :grinpimp: No different than a 5.9 and they last .
If somebody can do this, you can, but I want visual proof and a 200k report:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
:idea: the 250 hp what pump are you running? i am looking into building a 4bt for a reliable dialy driver for work . would head studs and fire ringing engine be to much for a 200/250 hp daily driver. i am looking for total reliability as i drive 150000 miles a year. i would prefer to do everything with a eye towards being overbuilt. thanks...this forum rocks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Take a look at how long the 4bt boat motors last

It should be possible to add 25% more horsepower to a 4bt and not affect it's life or milage. What you are doing is setting the motor up too run more efficiently and in effect hotter . When you set them up like this you need to have a brain and a pyro and know how to read the guages and drive using them .
Most non computer engines are set up by the manufacturer for drivers with no brain .

BAM

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
:idea: the 250 hp what pump are you running? i am looking into building a 4bt for a reliable dialy driver for work . would head studs and fire ringing engine be to much for a 200/250 hp daily driver. i am looking for total reliability as i drive 150000 miles a year. i would prefer to do everything with a eye towards being overbuilt. thanks...this forum rocks
Ve pump ,Don't need them but would be better knowing you have them.Better to over build than under and trash the engine.

Scott

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
It should be possible to add 25% more horsepower to a 4bt and not affect it's life or milage. What you are doing is setting the motor up too run more efficiently and in effect hotter . When you set them up like this you need to have a brain and a pyro and know how to read the guages and drive using them .
Most non computer engines are set up by the manufacturer for drivers with no brain .

BAM
Post # 2 top section ,with all those items and adjustments will make that power Plus ,It's also built to make more with a few add parts.

Scott

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What would the costs be?

Do you sell the parts CrewCab? I have a VE pumped motor with no intercooler going in my Scout. I would like to make some serious power and feel that my NV4500 will hold up to it if my Dana 44's will. This is a project on a budget, but I want to take it all of the way over time I am planning on intercooling but thought the cam work would be easiest when I pull the motor out to pain the fram and remove the body for a frame up resto. My plan is to get it running and then tear it all down making everything just so.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Do you sell the parts CrewCab? I have a VE pumped motor with no intercooler going in my Scout. I would like to make some serious power and feel that my NV4500 will hold up to it if my Dana 44's will. This is a project on a budget, but I want to take it all of the way over time I am planning on intercooling but thought the cam work would be easiest when I pull the motor out to pain the fram and remove the body for a frame up resto. My plan is to get it running and then tear it all down making everything just so.
Yes,
I sell those parts,take a look in the Vendors section " Tennessee Diesel Conversion " .

Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are only two things that become unreliable at higher HP, headgasket and a VE pump.Headgasket is easily fixed with fire ringing.VE pumps don't like max fuel setting. Back off from full fuel and they will be fine.
Studs don't hurt but stock bolts with firering have held to 127 lbs of boost on my six banger. Its all in the torque proceedure. Let me know if I can help.;)
Here's what 900 looks like.
http://www.hellmannperformance.com/10.63.wmv

1 - 16 of 16 Posts